New DIY Sump installed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Overflow boxes scared me as well, and I never used a sump until I found a drilled tank that could afford. However, there is one good inexpensive way to protect your pump from getting damaged: float switch FTW! you could rig one in your sump to shut the pump down if it gets too full, or in your tank to shut the pump down if it gets too low.

It just requires basic knowledge of electricity and wiring.

if you get fancy with it, you could rig up a pump/float switch to reestablish the siphon once the power comes on, and shut off when the water reaches the appropriate levels, and starts siphoning

It's not foolproof, but you don't seem like a fool, so it's all good :D

Last edited:

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Btw, nice beard. My gf makes me settle for a goatee... I sneak a beard in sometimes, though

Last edited:

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Btw, nice beard. My gf makes me settle for a goatee... I sneak a beard in sometimes, though
Mahalo ia oe e Glabe :) I am very lucky to have my beard. The girl friend supports facial hair growth and prefers the full beard. Recently, she said i could even go mustache status and she would like it.

As for the sump, I have been thinking about doing a float switch. But, i am going to see how well the overflow pipe works, i want to use a pump to ensure no build up of bubbles in the siphon. According to Joey on youtube the 1/2" pvc overflow pvc is rated for 90gph. After the paint cures, i am going to test out the overflow pipe and see if the original tank siphon is necessary. I used 1/2" because i wanted it to be as concealed as possible, but i do not know if it will be large enough to handle the inlet pump flow. We will see in 14days.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Danyal

AC Members
May 20, 2007
would highly recommend switching to an overflow box, or drilling your tank (can be done with a cheap dremel and tile cutting bit or drill and diamond hole saw) and making your own overflow. Siphons are very hard to match to the flow of the pump, because you can have it perfectly dialed in one day, and then the next a snail crawls into it or a piece of plant breaks away and get stuck etc. An overflow isn't 100% but it's pretty close if you do it right and definitely more trustworthy than a straight siphon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store