New female Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Hello,

I have a 20 gallon tank that has been up since march. Recently a few fish have passed away ( not from any illness ) and so I decided to get another female Betta. The new Betta, Suki, is eating and exploring her new environment, but my first Betta, Rupee, can be a little aggressive. She doesn't bother her if she doesn't come near her, but sometimes if Suki comes too close she'll flare up.
I think they will probably get used to each other, and I'd like to give them a chance to work it out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make it work better between them?

Thanks,
Aquaticfrog32

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Betta females can live together but usually do better in a group of more than just two. You can try adding more plants and hides, but you'll probably always have issues when there is just two.

Reactions: Finster

balerion

AC Members
Mar 20, 2017
Northern IL
Tifftastic is right. Add at least one more female to make a sorority, preferably even two or three. It disperses the aggression. But flaring isn't a big deal. My females flare at one another constantly and it doesn't cause them any stress that I can see. Unless they're ripping at each other's fins or chasing each other to the point where one wants to hide constantly, you're probably in the clear. Also I don't know how decorated your tank is but the more plants and decor the better with semi aggressive fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hello,

I have a 20 gallon tank that has been up since march...
Wait.. isn't it March right now?

In regards to the female bettas, IMO, it doesn't matter if you have 2 or 12. They're always going to shove each other around. It's what they do. Like said, you have to manage it with space and decor. They love thick floating plants to lounge in as well. If had groups of 5 at a time. They are a lot of fun.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I added 2 more, it's a little betta. ( Pun! )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store