New Filter Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gouramigirl71

Registered Fishaholic
May 4, 2007
My AquaClear filter has been nothing but trouble since I got it, so it's time for a new one. I need suggestions for a filter for my 55 gallon please...:) Nothing too expensive, but I don't want a cheap piece of junk either. (and not another AquaClear :headshake2:)

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
If you stay with an HOB, 2 PENGUIN 200's or EMPEROR 280's, generally AC's are reliable.I prefer to use at least 2 filters per tank.......:)

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I'm surprised the AC gave you so much trouble, but Emperors are pretty good, too. You can also get a great deal on an XP 2 or XP 3 cannister filter at Big Al's.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The only time we had trouble with an AC was when it wasn't level, water all over the carpet more than once.

That said I have a Rena XP3 (& an AC) on my 55.

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
I would just go with a Whisper 60 or two, depending on your bio load. Maybe a Whisper 60 and a Whisper 30, one for each side, just to be sure of great circulation.

I agree that AC are a POS!!!! Not only did mine only work half of the time, mine overflowed gallons of water on the floor!! Mine was level, so I know it wasnt that, I am unsure of why it did it, but it did so I never recommend them. The Emperors are okay. They are second on my list.

Daniel

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
My AquaClear filter has been nothing but trouble since I got it, so it's time for a new one. I need suggestions for a filter for my 55 gallon please...:) Nothing too expensive, but I don't want a cheap piece of junk either. (and not another AquaClear :headshake2:)
Can you please tell us which model AquaClear you had on this 55 gallon. I have used AquaClear filters for years now as well as many other brands of HOB filters and the AquaClear filters have worked by far the best for me. They are the only HOB filter I use now.

For a 55 gallon I would have been using two AquaClear 70's on it. Was this your setup?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store