New fishies, just have to share

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Hello again!

I'm just so excited, I had to share my news. I have a 10 gal tank which had cycled with three serpeas in it and had good readings for three weeks in a row, so I added three black stripe tetras yesterday. One of them has really big fins and seems to be the leader of the pack. Couldn't resist getting the freaky one...

Everyone seems fine, even though there is definetely a bit more activity now, with the serpeas being a little territorial. "Big fin" seems to really like hanging out at the submersed heater. The water is 78 degrees, so it should be comfortable for him. I guess he just likes it warm.

Does anybody think a Whisper 30 filter at full flow is too much current for them? The Serpeas seem to like to play in it, but one of the new guys is hiding under the big magnet cleaner to get out of the stream...

I will buy some fake plants this weekend to give them more hiding places.

Any input is welcome!

Thanks so much!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Keep in mind that when you cycle with fish, the bacteria bed develops to the specific bio-load of those fish. With each addition of fish, there will be an excess of ammonia/nitrites while the bacteria play catch-up--the so called mini-cycle. You'll want to monitor the tank and make water changes as needed to keep the water acceptable.

It will take a while for the fish to settle in to their new home. Give them a few days to acclimate to your schedule and tank.

Glad to see your enthusiasm! It is fun getting new fish and seeing them check out the tank, and the other fish. GL!

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Yes, I was ready for the mini cycle. Especially with such a small tank...

Has anyone ever used a mirror as a backing for the tank? Do the fish *feel* like they are in a bigger group?

Also, how stressful is it for them to see a cat looking at them? The cats ignore them most of the time, but they do like to sit in the window next to the fish...

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
Mine don't pay much attention to the cat at all and he is about 15 lbs. He just watches them for 15 minutes (espeically at night) or so and moves on. They don't seem to change their routine one bit.

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I just moved my fish upstairs from the basment (they were in one of the kids rooms) and the first time the cat looked at them they kind of held very still...He is a very big white cat, so I imagine it looks like this huge white thing with eyes to them, but they were also a little disoriented from the move.

Anyway, a little excitement can't hurt them too much, I figure. At least they don't have birds swooping at them and big fish trying to eat them as they would in nature...

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Your fish probably hangs out by the heater because it is needing a place to hide right now and feels safer there. My fish did that before I started keeping a planted tank. Definatly get some fake plants or something to make them feel more secure.

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Second day, and all is well...The new fish seem much more confident already and the Serpea informed them of the 7 a.m. feeding time. Still going to get fake plants.

Any input on how to attach a mirror on the back side of the aquarium?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store