New gold nugget pleco (L018)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'm glad to hear he's perking up.
This one has cleaned all 4 panes in my little 25g and if it continues, he'll be moved by the weekend.
Tis a nice fish. I think I liked him better than the mangos who weren't showing as much color as I had hoped. I remember seing one about a month ago that was beautiful, but these guys weren't as pleasing from what I could see of them and they seemed shy and were hiding. They were charging 59.00 each which did seem outrageous. (the one I saw was 49.00 a month ago) They had 2 royal plecs that weren't hiding, just basking out in the open and I liked the coloration and the fact they were so laid back blinking at me with those red eyes. I'll call him Blinky :) hehehhe.
They had a 'medusa' pleco that looked interesting as well golden commons, and some rubber lip and a couple ancistrus, a gibbiceps. I had my eye out for a snowball or a goldnugget but didn't see any.

I put in a bottomfeeder tab and a few bloodworms tonight.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Well, we gave it the old college try, but unfortunately he died this morning. Poor little thing, I wish I could have done more for him. Thanks for the help guys, cross your fingers for me - I'm going to see if I can get another plec today, if there are healthy ones in the tank.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Trying again

Thanks SoCal, it feels terrible when they're sick and you can't save them, I appreciate the support :)
I read an article online that talked about how these fish can lose their gut bacteria during shipping, and it prevents them from being able to take in nutrition - they starve, and there's really nothing you can do to save them.
I went back to the store today and they had three plecs left of the 10 or so that were there when I got mine, they've been dying off with the same symptoms mine had. I suspect it's more to do with shipping than disease, since they're otherwise so healthy looking.
They gave me a replacement, she (I think it's a female) is slightly larger than the others in the tank were, and has a nice flat tummy, not at all concave. She's quite active, exploring the tank and chewing on the driftwood. There are little bits of frozen shrimp, a piece of algae wafer, and a piece of zuchinni in the tank, I'm hoping after lights out she'll feel brave enough to settle down and have a snack.
As a precaution, I'm still treating the tank with Metro. *Fingers crossed*

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
If they are snooping around within 15 mins. or a half hour, I think you've got a good one. How do you know its female? They say royals can't be sexed so I'm guessing its a her, now that I think about it. Yes. I know she's a lady. (Not at all shy about pooping however.)

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Actually, it appears from what I've just read that my instincts are backwards! I thought because this fish was bulkier it was likely a female, but it seems with gold nuggets the males have a longer, more sloping profile (females have slightly more rounded foreheads), and are a bit 'thicker'. This fish has a decidedly 'horsey' face, and is thicker through the middle than the two others in the tank were, though that could be because it's just not as skinny. Everything I have read indicates that they're very hard to sex, so it's a guess at best.
He's rooting around all over, but hasn't discovered the zuchinni yet. Hope you're right and I've got a good one :D

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
WooHoo!
I put some frozen brine shrimp into the tank, they landed all over the substrate - I figured the plec would find at least one in his travels. He perked up when he smelled food, found not one but two shrimp, and ate them! :dance: He's eating, I'm so happy. We may not be out of the woods yet, but now at least there's a chance :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store