new here

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I lost the bumblebee platy it was floating this morning. I'm trying hard to get the water better so why are the platys dying as the water is getting better?
This is a very long thread with over a hundred posts, so it is easier to ask for data than dig through to find it. What are the readings now for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If you are seeing ammonia or nitrite above zero, the fish are in danger. Water changes of half the tank every day until both read zero is all you can do. The Stability (bacterial supplement) will help build up the nitrifying bacteria, but any ammonia or nitrite over zero is harming fish, slowly but surely, and eventually they can succumb. If ammonia/nitrite is the issue.

Byron.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I did a 10 out of 30gal water change last evening but I'll do a 75% water change today. I wish I knew where I went wrong and how it got so out of wack so fast.

I am vary grateful for all of your help, thank you.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^it happens, bro. All you can do is move forward. I've nuked two tanks and killed countless fish and blah, blah, blah. It's a bummer but you'll bounce back!

:thumbsup: :welcome:

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I'll bounce back but I won't go down without a fight :nilly:
I did something like a 80% water change and add some more stability to boost the bio filter. I hope that I'm done losing fish from this.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
just keep up on the water changes.
btw they don't realy have a tremendous impact on establishing bio filtration since the little beasties that are needed for bio filtration actually occupy surfaces in the tank (including filter media)

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
every little bit helps right now I think.
On a happy note my ruffled sword's stalk has two white things at the surface of the tank now so maybe it'll flower or something.

Addlewood

AC Members
Apr 17, 2014
Kansas
I just wanted to give an update on my fish: They are doing great now. This thread is getting long so I'm going to let it die now, thanks for all the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store