New larger tank - What to add to existing stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Tomorrow I am picking up a 125G that all the inhabitants of my 55G will ultimately move over to. Since I now have an additional 70 gallons of tank space, I am wondering what I can add to my current stock. The tank will be planted, low light with either turface (if I move it over) or play sand substrate. Currently the 55G has:

1 x angel (about1.5" body)
15 or so tetras - a remaining black neon, a few glowlights and bleeding heart.
10 corydoras
2 albino BN pleco
1-3 kuhli loaches

I had a larger group of kuhli loaches but many of them passed away, not sure how many are left and to be honest am not interested in increasing the numbers. They are great fish, but I am happy with the corydoras and BN plecos as the bottom dwellers. The black neon and glowlights are probably the oldest fish in the tank and can live out their days, not really interested in upping their numbers due to the age of them.

I have had multiple angels in the past, but due to breeding / aggression am reluctant to go down that route again (2 angels died due to fighting amongst them).

So.... what can I add? I would prefer slightly larger fish even if in smaller numbers. May up the number of bleeding heart tetras since I only have 6 of them, but what else? Biggest compatibility issue would be something that gets on with the angel and won't eat the tetras (I like Acara's, but with the tetra they are a bit of a no go).

Other than that, am open to suggestions!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's a nice jump going from a 4ft 55g to (I assume) a 6ft 125g. A lot more footprint. What exactly do you want, more groups of small schoolers, or something center piece worthy, with some personality? You've got a lot of options with more than doubling your water volume and ~50% more footprint.

If you like corys, I'd triple the number you have. They don't even have to be the same type. You could try a mid/largish more mellow cichlid like a severum or keyhole, but with an adult angel, it's a try and see thing IMO.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
That's a nice jump going from a 4ft 55g to (I assume) a 6ft 125g. A lot more footprint. What exactly do you want, more groups of small schoolers, or something center piece worthy, with some personality? You've got a lot of options with more than doubling your water volume and ~50% more footprint.

If you like corys, I'd triple the number you have. They don't even have to be the same type. You could try a mid/largish more mellow cichlid like a severum or keyhole, but with an adult angel, it's a try and see thing IMO.
Yep, 2 extra feet of footprint.... ideally I want something a little larger since the tank is much larger. Small schooling fish are fine and I may add to the tetras I already have (increase their numbers, not add new types of tetra). More corys would be pretty cool actually, the way they follow each other along is neat to watch.

So yep ideally something a little larger would be neat. The angel is actually a juvenile, the one in my avatar is one I had that passed away at about 10 years old. I picked up a new one a couple months ago that is just now getting bigger in body length than the bleeding heart tetras I have (obviously height being much bigger than the tetra though). Assuming something like a severum would get on well it is definitely an option.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pearl Gouramis? Festivum Cichlids?

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Festivums may be neat. While I like the look of a severum, it appears that they may tear up all my plants. So that pretty much rules them out. Doing some research I think these should all be OK with plants:

Festivums
Apistogramma
Keyhole cichlid
Cryptoheros nanoluteus
Rainbow Cichlid (possibly)

They all appear to grow somewhere between 4-6" so would a group of 5 of one type, 1 of each or 2-3 of a couple of those make more sense?

Keep coming back to a group of angels, but boy, when they decide to fight do they go all out is what's making me look at other options. Definitely want something a little larger and colorful though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store