New look for the 65g, opinions and critics wanted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
ok..spent all day 12/27/12 red doing the tank, took all the fish out and drained it to do this.

before

after

tell me what you guys think, ..where it could be improved? if you like the old or new..ext ext ( and yeah the power head up front is ugly...working on that)

Im going for a more open feel..with caves and holes for the Tinanti who live on the bottom and more swimming space up top for the rainbows

Last edited:

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric
I like both. But the 1 st looks more natural. But I think the new layout needs to grow a bit before I judge. It. League of legends might help with that : p

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I like both. But the 1 st looks more natural. But I think the new layout needs to grow a bit before I judge. It. League of legends might help with that : p

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uhuh to bad your not logged on!!!

ssuchem13

Tower Tank Master
Oct 4, 2011
chicagoland
Real Name
Eric

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I like both and I see what you are going for in changing it up, I think. Its a very pretty tank, and has nice sharp lines.

One suggestion I have for you is to bring the background forward, so to speak. What I mean is to great a diagonal going from front left corner to back right corner - I suggest front left to back right because this is the direction in which we read, so the eye sweeps across from left to right and is drawn into the tank. It creates more visual depth.

By 'create a diagonal' I mean a piece of scenery or a series of pieces. A good piece of driftwood, an irregular line of the same sort of plants, a rock structure - that kind of thing.

I like something of medium height for this. Then you can plant tall stuff along the back, medium stuff in the front right corner and short stuff in the front left. Mix it up to create natural effect but something like that.

I hope that helps/is of interest and again, I like your tank a lot.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Thank you everyone! the impute does help, there is allot of rock work and intricate log caves, that are hard to catch in the camera in the back of the tank its 18 inches deep.

Im going to give it a few days of just looking at it before i make up my mind on what to tweek, I like the wide open space at the moment it gives my rainbows room to school..

but that is why i asked for advice! to make it better....ill post update pics when i dive back in to it in a few days.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
The swim space is great - you can get the visual effect I was talking about with a piece of driftwood for instance, but it need not be a 'high' feature - i.e. it can be low lying and leave plenty of space above it.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have always kept the substrate higher in the back than in the front for some depth help, and agree with Coler on that diagonal suggestion.

Like #2 better.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
^ Yes this is a really good point that I forgot to say - the substrate on your tank is very noticeably flat. Sloping it down back to front again creates a perception of depth - I think its because it raises the visual horizon and develops lines of perspective which fool your eye into thinking its looking into the distance. It doesn't have to be very pronounced/severe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store