New Malawi Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cj5jeep80

AC Members
Feb 3, 2010
Hello I need advise on my new cichlid tank.I have been trying to cycle this 130 gallon tank since the beginning of November. My filter is a Eheim 2217, and has been running from the beginning. I started with three electric yellow to begin the cycle after getting some info on line. The guy said I could do a silent cycle and because of the water volume I would probably get no ammonia readings at all, and in time my tank would cycle. Over some time (6 weeks or so) I began to get nitrite readings, very happy. And after some time they also had gone to zero readings. I thought I was done.
I went to a cichlid breeder here in Quebec, and purchashed 10 great looking fish. 6 Aulonacara 2 1/2 inches, 1 blue moori 4 inches, 1 limbido 2 1/2 inces, 1 Red Empress 2 1/2 inches, and a blue electra 2 1/2 inches all male. Got them home dripped tank water on them for 45 min or so, and put them in. They were all acting normal for the first day or so, then I noticed that they were all hanging at the bottom swimming in place. When I tested for ammonia there were small traces. Some of the fish(blue moori, and some others) were flashing in the sand now and then. Not knowing what to do, I pulled them all out and put them in a 40 gallon tank which houses 1 medium sized angelfish and is well established. This was Christmas day. On Christmas day I also treated myself to a new fluval fx5 and set it up with good media and has been running in the 130 gallon with the 2217 ever since. I started to add pure ammonia to the tank and getting readings of 3 ppm to 4 ppm and starded a fishless cycle. After the first couple of weeks in January I was able to convert 3 ppm of ammonia to nitrate in less than 24 hours. So I did a large water change (60 per) to drop the nitrates down. This brought them down to 50 so I did another smaller water change (30 per) which brought the nitrate levels to under 20. Meanwhile the cichlids are living in this 40 gallon gravel bottom tank and loving it! They were showing of their colors, swimming and playing like mad. They look fantastic.
All this time I have been using Prime conditioner for water changes and the like. I have now put all the fish into the big tank, and just like before they were fine for the first day and now day two they are swimming in place alot at the bottom, flashing has also started (maybe because of the sand?). The good thing is that they are all eatting well. They have all paled in color and I am really worried now. Has my tank cycle stalled?
Is it because of the water changes and the Prime conditioner? I just did a ammonia test and got 0.25 ammonia traces I read that this might be because of Prime in the water and getting false positive readings? Should I move the fish again? Should I add more prime? Should I just leave it and wait? Any help would be gr8 Thx ( sorry for the long post)

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I suspect adding too many fish at once is overwhelming the new bacteria colony. You'll need to do daily large water changes to keep the ammonia down until it has a chance to catch up. Over-dosing with Prime won't hurt either, and I'd keep an eye out for residual ammonia in the 40 gallon in the meantime. Good luck!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Def too many fish at one time. Doing daily wc's will speed up the cycle, but I would go spend 10$ on a bottle of Seachem Stability, follow the directions, you should be fine after 2 weeks. Just remember to shake the bottle before adding it to your tank, make sure the liquid coming out is cloudy in color.

cj5jeep80

AC Members
Feb 3, 2010
great thx for all your help I checked the ammonia this morning it was at 0.25 so I just did a 30 per water change.After testing again it is still at 0.25 should I keep doing water changes Bigger? Smaller More often? thx again I will go buy seachem stability right now thx

cj5jeep80

AC Members
Feb 3, 2010
Okay I just went out and bought seachem stability. I sure hope it works I've read online that it may not provide all the right bacteria and after a week or so the tank will crash. Anyone with past experience with this stuff? thx

cj5jeep80

AC Members
Feb 3, 2010
Gr8 London thx for the thread sounds promising. I have added my first dosage of stability and I still have a small amount of ammonia between 0.25 and 0 not completely yellow. should I be doing another water change now or just be paitient? thx for the advice

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Using a double-dose of Prime (or 10 ml per 50 gallons) will detoxify the ammonia for 48 hours, if I'm not mistaken. It actually turns it into non-toxic ammonium, but won't interfere with your cycle. It will still show up on tests as ammonia, however, since most kit reagents don't differentiate between the two, so I think one water change per day should be fine as long as they don't seem stressed.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I'd use the Stability, and do no more water changes unless the ammonia is up again. Have you tested your tap water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store