New Mopani Wood Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Bringing this thread back from the dead, i too am having a mopani wood dilemma and it seems to fit into this old discussion.

I've been soaking a big 14-15" long chunk of mopani for over 2 weeks now. I spent a whole night boiling and boiling the wood to leech out the tannins. I don't want my Ph to drop like it's said it will.

What are the adverse effects of me putting this new piece of wood in the tank? Will my filter clear up the color from the tannins? Should i just keep soaking? This is getting so hectic. I'm anxious to scape my tank proper and want to use this as a centerpiece.

Basically, i don't want to convert my tank to blackwater conditions. I just want a healthy pretty tank.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
why in the world do peeps think that fish in cycles are so bad? something to be ashamed of... bull crap. if you dug a big pond would you pour ammonia in it? tekonus that algea on your wood is not unusual and will go away on its own

Arturo

AC Members
Mar 22, 2008
San Diego
I have had fuzz on my wood even after I soaked it for a week. When you clean the tank pick off the fuzz with your hand and it shouldn't grow back.

Madding

A frog among toads.
Apr 12, 2009
New York
Almost all of my experiences with mopani wood involve the growth of that filmy stuff and it usually clears up. Only one piece had to be removed from a 56 gallon tank after small cankerous-looking holes began developing in the wood and the fungus never went away.

JimL

I know just enough to be dangerous
Mar 28, 2009
Silverdale, WA.
why in the world do peeps think that fish in cycles are so bad? something to be ashamed of... bull crap. if you dug a big pond would you pour ammonia in it?
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store