New nano reef diary

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
It looks good Blinky. I think you'll want MH lighting later though hehehehe!

My tank is my old waterhome 25 minus the hood. Its 12 wide by 31 3/4 inch long and 18 high so I think its more like 26g. Hagen made sure no one could use another hood except theirs, lol.

I've got a 36 inch 2x 96 watt pc over it (odyssea from ebay about 100$ with shipping) It extends 2 inches over the tank because of the fans. Open top and no jumpers in three months so, I think I'm safe for that.

Like you, I rearranged the tank piling the rock center to clear the sides for easier cleaning. You live and learn. But having seen MH over tanks, I'd go with MH if I do this again lol. However, my little acropora tricolor frag is doing well with new branches budding so I'll leave well enough and my poor pockets alone lol.

Hope the transfer goes smoothly.

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
This thread is hard to keep up with, Blinky. So much happening! Sounds like the tank is getting more stable all the time, and it's looking great.

One thing to think about with a 24" tank is that the back will be pretty full with an HOB fuge and an HOB skimmer. I had the same arrangement, and it was OK, but you might give a second thought to drilling the new tank or having the refugium as a separate small tank above, below, or next to the reef. 10 gallon tanks are also much, much cheaper than HOB fuges ;)

SF, my female clown went carpet surfing after 4 years in an uncovered tank. Huge bummer. I have eggcrate on it now.

Last edited:

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Laff sorry Dave, it is a little excessive, isn't it? Thank goodness for the 'last new post' arrow ;)
I've measured it out: the AC70 along with the AC70 that I modded into a fuge and the Remora should all fit together along the back - just. I hope that two AC70s will provide enough flow for a 25g (24L x 12W x 20H). I'm also going to see if Big Al's has the 28W T5 fixture advertised on their online site in the store. If so, I'll probably buy that along with a tank, top and stand.
I picked up an amazing 7lb piece of LR today at work, and the best part is I didn't have to pay for it - they're taking Xenia in trade :) . There's a polyp that seems to be alive and well, it closed when I moved the rock and opened up again. There are several other things on the rock I can't ID - possibly sponges. The rock is in a bucket with a PH and 30W of PC over it for the corraline and polyp. If the NH3/NO2 test zero, it will go into the new tank when we set it up, if not, it will continue curing in the bucket.
Here's a picture:

Edit--> I asked on nano-reef.com and another member confirmed my suspicions - that yellow critter near the top is likely a dead/dying LPS (favia maybe?). I'm hoping against hope that it might recover, there's some fleshy stuff on it but I can feel and see skeleton so I doubt it. It looks like it used to be green with red in the centre; in person it's an incredibly pale yellowish green and pink.

Last edited:

Swimfins

mogurnda said:
This thread is hard to keep up with, Blinky. So much happening! Sounds like the tank is getting more stable all the time, and it's looking great.

One thing to think about with a 24" tank is that the back will be pretty full with an HOB fuge and an HOB skimmer. I had the same arrangement, and it was OK, but you might give a second thought to drilling the new tank or having the refugium as a separate small tank above, below, or next to the reef. 10 gallon tanks are also much, much cheaper than HOB fuges ;)

SF, my female clown went carpet surfing after 4 years in an uncovered tank. Huge bummer. I have eggcrate on it now.
Yes, in hindsight I would have drilled the tank too but found out after it had cycled with 30 pounds of rock and I didn't want to remove it all to drill it.
Its an option while its empty Blinky.
Since my tank is over 30" long, I'm going with the 18" hot refuge from CPR.
Its so tempting to leave the tank open because its nice to have the overhead view but, I guess I'll get some egg crate which I've been stalling on doing lol.
Sorry about your clown Mogurnda, it is a bummer!

Nice pet rock Blinky! I think I see some macroalgae on there too.

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Open top and no jumpers in three months so, I think I'm safe for that.
Thanks for the sympathy. Mostly I was just noting that you may never know when a favorite fish will want to go exploring.

Or maybe I misunderstood your post about no jumpers. Oh well.

Swimfins

mogurnda said:
Thanks for the sympathy. Mostly I was just noting that you may never know when a favorite fish will want to go exploring.

Or maybe I misunderstood your post about no jumpers. Oh well.
I've been procrastinating on getting egg crate but thanks for the heads up, I'm living dangerously! Sorry for going off topic here Blinky!
Your thread is good for all newbies to read lol :) As I go out to home depot for some egg crate :) lol

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
No problem SF, as you said, anything that helps anyone learn is fair game :)

Dave, sorry about your clown, that sucks - I didn't catch that the first time around. I love my wrasse, he's the reason I go with a glass top.

This my LAST post to this thread... it's getting insanely long, so I'm going to start a new diary thread for the new setup - feel free to tag along :D

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
In his "Breeding the Orchid Dottyback" book, Martin Moe keeps writing "This is absolutely the last entry into this log." I wonder what it will take to tempt you into one more post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store