New shots... SE Asian and African biotope tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bknapp

Started a hobby became an obsession
Feb 3, 2009
Nashville, Tn
Love this thread... found it a long time ago and still check back... Any updates? Great Tanks!!!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Hey, Doc!!! Good to see you. I would have been worried with you gone so long, but I know you are just a hard workin' man.

I can't wait to see new photos of your gorgeous tanks.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Finally...

36 gallon bowfront (specimen tank for Seneglaus):

36 bowfront.JPG

S. senegalus:

S senegalus.JPG

90 gallon tall Lake Tanganyika:

Tang close shot.JPG

Tang full tank.JPG

Assorted Comps. These shots are proof how slow these guys/gals grow - they've put on maybe 1/4" to 1/2" max:

Comps.JPG

Comp harem.JPG

Congo red.JPG

One of two Brichardi. This male is now 3 inches. No aggression or broods (thanks to the 2 synodontis petricola in the tank):

Brichardi.JPG

The next series of photos may shock viewers. All good things...

That's right, say bye to the grass. 125 Gallon planted Asian biotope with native (mixed) vals:

Asia close shot.JPG

Heteromorph rasboras, gold gouramis, huge SAE's, reticulated loaches, and the venerable old-man of the tank:

Asia specimens.JPG

Vals love CO2:

Vals.JPG

Asia full tank.JPG

All-tank shots:

Tang + Asia.JPG

3 tank shot.JPG

Lesson learned: aggressive dwarf grass will exhaust all of flourite and substrate nutrients in one year. The performance of the grass began to suffer, and the appropriate course of action would have been a complete substrate replacement and replant. Work continues to call, and I needed a more manageable tank requiring less maintenance and not requiring a substrate overhaul. Thus, a complete rip ensued. Don't ask me how tedious that project was. Mixed Asian vals were planted, and it is a welcome contrast. A Koralia powerhead keeps the vals gently moving 24-7 and simulates river flow which the specimens appreciate. They also appreciate the increase in swimming room and constantly dither through the straps, hence the name, "Strap Tank".
The transition to vals has saved me ~2 hrs of tank work a week :hitting:
Good to be back.

36 bowfront.JPG S senegalus.JPG Tang close shot.JPG Tang full tank.JPG Comps.JPG Comp harem.JPG Congo red.JPG Brichardi.JPG Asia close shot.JPG Asia specimens.JPG Vals.JPG Asia full tank.JPG Tang + Asia.JPG 3 tank shot.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great tanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store