New Sytem12 tank. Need some Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ACAquaman

AC Members
Jul 20, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
OK, I've finally got my sons first freshwater tank together and running.(A SYSTEM 12) for almost a full day. I have a PH test kit and it says I'm around 7.2 It was a clear tank last night but today it's a tad cloudy. I really want to add a few Danios to start my cycle. I was told after 24hrs I could. I also read the fishless cycle article. Will the cloudiness go away or does the water need to be recycled before I get the fish? Since it's Sunday I wasn't able to get a hold of the store I bought it off of to ask. I don't use the PH kit untill after I put the fish in correct? or can I try and get it from (Basic 7.2 to Neutral 7.0) before? well, any and all information would be great.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Why are you using danios to cycle? It seems like using the fishless cycle is the best option as it allows you to put a full bio load of fish in all at once. Do you want a tank of danios?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
cycleing

Did you use biospira? if so then you can add fish in 24 hours. Fully stocked in 24 hours, wow.

If not, then you have a good month or so of going through the cycle (did I read somewhere it was 38 days?) either with fish or with a bottle of ammonia that is pretending to be a fish.

The cloudiness is not unusual, could be dust from the gravel. It sometimes takes a few weeks of fish poo to stick all that dust down onto the gravel.

ACAquaman

AC Members
Jul 20, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Thanks

I haven't used any fish yet TKOs. I read somewhere that the Danios were pretty good for starting the Aquarium. I want to add some small fish to get this thing going. {"Anonopersona"} I will get some biospira tommorrow, can I add fish after that or do I have to wait some more? It's really not that cloudy just a little bit. well, I'll go to Aquarium place tommorrow and see what they say too. I'll let you's all know how I make out. I wanted to have a few fish in there before my son comes home tommorrow as a surpride:D

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If you get bio spira then you should be able to add fish right away to the tank. And in fact you will have to as the bacteria will die without a source of food.

Make sure to pick up some test kits as well. This will include ammonia and nitrite test kits. You then test for ammonia and nitrite each day for the first while as without a properly cycled tank their will inevitably be spikes in these levels. If these levels test as anymore than 0ppm then do water changes to bring them back down. This will help protect the fish from being poisoned.

Also plese don't mix goldfish and tropical fish. Not saying you were going to but seems to be quite common in first tanks cause the goldfish are so cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store