New tank inhabitants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
You let the raw shrimp completely dissolve, once Ammonia and Nitrites read 0 then you can start adding the cleanup crew. Also as for corals, you need to plan what type of corals and anemonoes you want, since some require strong light while some require low light.

K-Dubbs

AC Members
Oct 4, 2004
Nother problem...
This sand... I got it from menards, and it is playbox sand
After putting it in the tank, it was really cloudy which is expected
After 2 days it settled
Then i moved my live rock around a little bit and it became cloudy again
Is this normal?
I'm wondering what will happen when i have flowing water... what will my tank look like then?
right now minimal movement and it gets all cloudy...
did i get a bad sand?

thx..

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
The cloudiness will happen before it gets wieghted down by bacteria. The stuff making the water cloudy are basically microscopic particles that fail to be filterd out, when the bacteria start to colonize it, it gets heavier and wont stir up any cloudiness.

K-Dubbs

AC Members
Oct 4, 2004
ok great... i was getting scared, I didn't want to have to change the substrate again :thud:

K-Dubbs

AC Members
Oct 4, 2004
Well, its been a few days since i put in the raw shrimp
The top layer of the water is like a slime, and when taking tests my nitrate an nitrites were normal, the alkalinity and ph were off the scale, and the ammonia was still near zero. Why is the alkalinity and ph so high?
I do not have any powerheads or my wet/dry running. Should I change this?

Thanks,
K-Dubbs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store