New Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
You specified /planted/ in you first post... Is this a heavily planted tank? They cycle differently than non planted or lightly planted tanks. :)

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
its lightly planted at the moment but i want to build the plants up slowly because of the cost. i want a medium to heavy planted tank.

do cherry barbs nip like other barbs?

and do gourami do well together or should be alone? i wondering if to get 1 dwarf male and 1 or 2 females, but still undecided on what collection of fish to have.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It is likely that you will not be able to find female gouramis. They aren't often sold. They do perfectly fine as a solitary fish. And even if you get a few they will stay separate and mark out their territories.

The cherry barb can be a bit nippy and aggressive but in a group will generally keep to themselves. Tiger barbs are more aggressive.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I have blue rams in with my angel fish and they do fine so far even with the angels in spawning mode. I *had* a dwarf guarami in there but he was the meanest fish I own. He thought he was king of the tank even though the angels were three times his size. I removed him to my molly tank where he got along better since they swim faster. He died for no more reason than age as far as I could ever tell.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
How about these?

I think i've come to a conclusion on my fish.

10 harlequin rabaras (should be ok with angels?)
15 rummynose tetras
6 corries still not sure no type, will be one of the smallest types
3 ottos
2 blue rams
2 angelfish

i'm also going to add them to my tank in the above order over a few months. is this over stocked? any problems with the combination?:confused:

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
That should be a pretty tank. I can't see any problems myself. :)
My rams have never gone in to spawning mode so I can't tell what they are like then. Some places I have read of difficulties at that time but the tank seems big enough for the others to keep out of the way. I did lose one cardinal tetra that was bold enough to get too close to my angels eggs. Daddy caught it a good clip on the tail and it died a few days later. I could see the injury but there was really not much I could do for it except let it see if it would heal.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
If you want a school that is that large of a particular fish, I'd go with just one of the ones mentioned, either the rummynose or harlequins. If you have two schools that large in just a 55 gallon tank, you probably won't see a very defined school. They'll either just mix together or be swimming amongst each other so much you won't get a true schooling effect. Plus you'll want for your angels to be the "showcase" fish, with the other fish as a supporting cast. I don't think anybody else has said this, so I'll say that you should get 3 angels, so that you won't have one dominant one beating up on the other all of the time. And as far as the cories, if you get the pigmy ones, they'll be all over the tank, not just the bottom. So I guess I'd say you should stock like this:

3 Angels
10-15 Rummynose
6 Cories
3 Ottos
2 Rams

If you're getting the ottos to keep algae down, I'd personally say you'd need more than 3 for a 55 gallon tank, so you might just want to skip the cories and go with all ottos. Don't add them until your tank has been running with fish in it for a while and some algae has started though.

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
Change of PLAN

theres been a change in plan. my mother wants the fish tanks i have to match with each other and the room furniture.
so i've moved my coldwater setup into the new 55g and exchanged my old setup for a new 29g
setup that matches so not to happy :sad
so what can i now have in this size tank from what i wanted before. see below
or anybody with a 29g have any successful setup.

10 harlequin rabaras
15 rummynose tetras
6 corries
3 ottos
2 blue rams
2 angelfish

how about?
10 rummynose
4 corries
2 rams
2/3 angels
3 ottos

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would definately rethink the angels now. 2 might go in there but it could be a tight fit when they get bigger. Personally I would pick either the rams or the angels. If one group starts to breed (and that is very likely) it could lead to chaos in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store