New tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
OK, I may have made Adler jealous of our plant clubs, lol. But maybe he(?) has a fish or plant club close to him? They really are a great way to get locally grown plants & fish. & to learn about local water issues, new shops, etc. & to just talk tanks & show pics with like-minded people. There may be facebook or similar groups nearby? It's worth searching around for them.

Sometimes it helps to have other people see tank pics to offer advice on hardscape layout (we on AC can help here too). Or even to say "that looks balanced & nice!" or maybe "move that wood to the left a bit". I find that easier to do with other's tanks than my own, I tend to have a narrow focus. This pretty rock & plant or a nice piece of wood & lose the overall theme.
I'm not sure about aquarium plant clubs but I know there is a group about gardening in facebook. my country, Panama, is small and the only plants available are common plants, though one hobbyist did advice on how to import plants.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I know 1 of our recent AC folks is from Mexico (Lalo). But I have no idea if his water might be similar to yours, he lives 100's of miles away. You may be our first member in Panama! Bros in espaniol? I mostly only "speak" food spanish & not much.

Ask at your local shops about clubs. Talk to other customers too...if you're shy, it's time to step out! Say "excuse me, do you know a local fish club? Do you grow plants? Where else should I go for another nice shop?" Not best with distracted parents of small children but with a friendly (or flirtatious? ;) ahem, cough) smile...LOL...said the old married woman, nothing wrong with friendly & smiley of any kind. I've accosted other shoppers (& been asked) about our plant club meets. It's all good...& fun!

Maybe there a Panama fish group on FB or other local board? Nextdoor or its equivalent? I'm sure there's something...

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I just lost a fish! 😭
Today I woke up and found my fish laying stiff at the bottom. No changes in behavior lately, no sign of stress or anything, it was eating as usual.

Not sure if I should do a water test now, I had already planned in doing a WC later today.

P_20230924_100813.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Hello, I just came across this thread, and yes I'm from Mexico and although I have not completely reviewed this thread it seems that there are problems with the substrate or with the water cycling?

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Since my last post about losing my gold gourami I lost my female pearl and now I have 2 fish left.
I started fishkeeping in jan 2020, started with 4 gouramis, lost 1 and months after got another 2. Jump to
2022 when I then lost my second fish, a year later I lost my third, a month after I lose my 4th and now I think I might lose another one.

this year I''ve seen my
fish's health oscillate between good and bad and it's been very disheartening overall, not to mention all the plants that have died has made me feel like a bad fishkeeper. I honestly do not know what to do anymore, but something that i've found to be a common factor of my fish before dying (with the exception of my gold gourami) is vision/sight problems causing them to eat little to none and then having their tail bent, becoming pale, skinny, weak until death. maybe i'm underfeeding although i doubt this is the case.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
This past weekend I upgraded the tank to a custom sized 45 gallons (measurements in my signature)

P_20231112_200901.jpg

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
yesterday I had 0 readings but today I got ammonia ☹

Guess I have to cycle everything again even if i used the same filter from the previous tank.

yesterday: (there are 2 nitrate test, the one to the right was just testing if I had test it correctly with old tank water. the one on the left is current tank).

P_20231112_201005.jpg

today:
P_20231113_211528.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
yesterday I had 0 readings but today I got ammonia ☹

Guess I have to cycle everything again even if i used the same filter from the previous tank.

yesterday: (there are 2 nitrate test, the one to the right was just testing if I had test it correctly with old tank water. the one on the left is current tank).

View attachment 232329

today:
View attachment 232330
Hello, greetings from an aquarist who is also discouraged too, I'm noticing that you has ceramic rings inside the tank, is there a reason why they are there? What filter are you using? They should go inside after mechanical filtration, add bacteria if necessary.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
(I'm not seeing a filter)

Reactions: Lalo J.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Hello, greetings from an aquarist who is also discouraged too, I'm noticing that you has ceramic rings inside the tank, is there a reason why they are there? What filter are you using? They should go inside after mechanical filtration, add bacteria if necessary.
I have a tidal 35, it is barely noticeable but it is there. as for the ceramic rings, I'm building a sump and when it is done I want to have some bio filter already going because I will stop using the tidal.

(I'm not seeing a filter)
at the top middle

Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store