New to Plants, looking for some tips!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spudjnr123

AC Members
Apr 3, 2006
Vacaville, CA
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Taylor
Camera Used
Nikon D610
Hey there flora lovers!!! I'm a long-time aquarium keeper who wants to try adding some live plants to a setup of mine. I've got a 38 gallon biotope tank that will be housing a couple juvenile coho which I will be growing and releasing each season. My tank is looking rather bare at the moment:

I found some wild plants at the outfall from the hatchery I work at. From their location, I know that they are a low light, low DO, but high nutrient environment. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience collecting live plants, and if there's anything I need to know to help them survive. I only want 4 to 6 shoots, not very many, so I was hoping that it would take much to keep just a few plants alive in my tank.

Sjb1987

AC Members
Jun 4, 2011
River Valley Area..Arkansas
Real Name
Sean
it all depends on the species... some require high light and the addition of pressurized co2 and ferts... around here i can collect ludiwgia repens, which dont require much... i can also get rotala ramosior which requires high light and co2.... first step would be to identify the plant

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store