Newbie 30 gal. journal...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Great start!

As mentioned: be patient and the life will appear.

I know it's easy to get tired looking at a tank full of nothing but rocks (not to mention all the smartass comments you get from your visitors), but it'll pay off!

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Nitrites down to .2m mg/L, Nitrates measure at 15 mg/L. Pretty quick progress. Maybe it's a combination of the Arag-alive and all of the live rock.

Since the last update I installed a medium CPR HOB Refugium (19.25" X 4.5" X 12" 3.5gal capacity) , one of their CF lights for it (on 24/7), and put in some CaribSea mineral mud as a substrate. I also installed one more 65W 10,000K CF light bringing my total lighting output to 195W....or 6.5 WPG. With (2) 230GPH powerheads, that's good enough for most corals right...even hard corals?

I expected the Nitrates to be higher...must be all of the algae soaking it up (see pics). To address that..I ordered a bunch of hermit crabs of different varieties, 2 Turbo, 2 Cerith and 2 Margarita snails as my first livestock. I also bought some "Red Gracilaria" algae, and a Shaving Brush plant for the refugium - all of which should show up my tomorrow via Foster & Smith (I'll give them one try at livestock). I'm also thinking a 12 hour photo period is too long. I might cut that down to 10 hours.

Click this one for a full-res version. Colors have a little too much saturation - more vivid than reality.

My little anemone tried to eat a piece of plant. Perhaps it's hungry, but I don't know what to feed it. It later released the leaf.

Side shot showing the lighting and filtration equipment.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Hermits/snails/algae/plants wont get here until Wed. Spotted one little hitchhiker snail last night. Bought 4 lbs of live sand and 2 pieces of rubble for the refugium today, but one of the pieces has Aiptasia. To the trash with it. Also spotted a couple more of those little anemones...it's not hard to see them against a background of brown brown brown algae. :duh:

Found another brittle star on the piece of rubble housing the aiptasia. I encouraged him to find a new home, so he moved onto the 2nd piece. Aiptasia gone.

Last edited:

SaltyNovice

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2005
Interesting

I'm enjoying your journal. I'm building my stand (DIY) now - hope to buy the aquarium sometime after Christmas. How's the superskimmer working for you? - I've been looking at them. So your tank has been set-up for less than two weeks - right? I'm amazed at the life you already have - I thought it would take months? Tell us how the refugim works - I've been thinking about one also.

SaltyNovice :clap:

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
-Today marks 2 weeks. :dance:

-As for the skimmer, it's "rated" as capable handling a 60 gal. tank so it's somewhat big. I also think it's too loud. The little air intake noise difuser just doesn't cut it, so I have it only on from 12am to 5PM while I'm not home. Also, the bubble diffuser on the exhaust doesn't diffuse bubbles. Since it's a large bulky box (compare the first big pic to the most recent big pic), I removed it. Now the exhaust comes straight out...pointed down at the substrate. On the one hand, it's excavating some of the substrate right there which isn't all that great. On the other hand, it puts some water flow into a corner behind the rocks that normally doesn't get too much flow.

-They way the guy sold me on the refugium was to make the point that algae is going to grow somewhere in your tank, why not give it a place to grow all it wants? A refugium allows algae and all of the critters to live and grow without being eaten by the aquarium inhabitants...a refuge. From what I read, Nitrates are the bane of SW fish, corals and invertabrates. So these plants and algaes work at removing them. Right now, the refugium outlet is a 90 degree elbow, but I'm thinking of removing the elbow so it outlets straight down into the other corner. There's not a ton of flow so I don't see it excavating as much substrate as the skimmer.

As for life...there's not a lot there...but it's enough (barely) to keep me from being bored. I put one cube of brine frozen brine shrimp in there when the lights were off and the little anemones were open hoping they might grab one...I don't think they did. Then this morning, it looks like that one tiny little snail cleared a patch of algae on one of the rocks. I was hoping to get my hermits and snails by yesterday, but Foster and Smith is dragging their feet. Oh well. I can wait a few days. My only concern is that it looks like the brown algae is overgrowing the coralline. I want these snails to get here to knock that stuff back.

mrsdorothy

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Mississippi
Visit site
I'm following your journal. Everything seems to be progressing nicely. I am waiting to order some more supplies before I set up my tank. I should start set-up sometime next month. How is the super skimmer working for you? I have read some good things about it.

Dorothy

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
I've only had one problem with it. It turned on one night and it overflowed. I had to crank the flow down to the absolute minimum to keep it from overflowing for some reason. Then the next day, at that flow level, it wasn't anywhere near enough flow for any skimming to happen. Since then, I've done adjustments very carefully...but I have no explanation for the overflow. It seems to need constant adjustment...I don't get that.

Last edited:

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Nitrates down to 7mg/L. Close enough - time for a fish. :thm: I'm also not going to wait for snails...so I'll pick some up today. Maybe a few hermits too. Pics will follow.

joe schmoe

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
2 Firefish, 1 Turbo Snail and 1 Bumble Bee snail. The Firefish are hiding mostly. I tried feeding them some frozen Mysis and some flake, but got very little reaction. I know they aren't exactly unique, but they are cool looking. I dropped the turbo snail onto the substrate, and it only took a few minutes to start ingesting the algae covered substrate. It's just sitting there at the moment, probably gorged.

I considered buying a pair of Pajama Cardinals, but chose something with a little more color. Almost bought some mushrooms too, but thought that would be too much at once...and I knew of another LFS with a better selection.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store