Newbie Needing Help (Got Tank & Fish Today)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jonhimes

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2003
vancouver wa
Visit site
im sorry

i bought the same kit from petsmart for 19.95 and online at petsmart.com it was 14.95. it is a teal looking kit, 6 different bottles 4 test tubes. i also was able to get an emperor by marine land 400 which is in the stores at $75usd and on petsmart.com it was $45 i also saw in the store the python for $50 i got it online for $25. you might also try thinking of getting a little bigger tank.

JasDownUnder

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks For All The Help So Far! Few More Questions Though

jonhimes... thanks for that... added that site to my bookmarks list now :) It probably won't work out much cheaper anyway, once you factor in the currency exchange rate (about 55 US cents to the Aussie dollar) and also shipping and handling...

I've been keeping a diary of things that i do to the tank, and water readings etc, and i thought i'd post up what i've got written down, so you experienced people can tell me what i'm doing right/wrong, if the readings are good/bad etc... so here goes :)

Sunday 12/01/03
* Set up aquarium & added 1x Platy, 1x Swordtail, 2x Comet Feeders
* Changed 9L of water late in evening (about 11pm)
* Fish activity is minimal
* Fed Fish @ 7:00pm

Monday 13/01/03
* Replaced old filter with new H.O.T. filter
* Vacuumed bottom of tank
* Changed 9L of water
* Fish activity improved with new filter. Fish now swimming around alot more
* pH reading is @ 7.1
* Ammonia reading @ 0.25ppm
* Nitrite reading @ 0.25ppm
* General Hardness @ 107.4ppm
* Alkalinity @ 71.6ppm
* Temperature @ 26 Degrees Celcius / 79 Degrees Farenheit
* Fed Fish @ 7:00pm

Tuesday 14/01/03
* Changed 9L of water
* Temperature @ 7:45am = 23 Degrees Celcius / 75 Degrees Farenheit
* Ammonia @ 0.0ppm
* Nitrite @ 0.25ppm
* Temperature @ 6:40pm = 26 Degrees Celcius / 79 Degrees Farenheit
* Fed @ 7:00pm

Until the 15th, i had been taking all ammonia and nitrate readings later on in the day AFTER i had done a water change... on the 15th i tested BEFORE i did the change

Wednesday 15/01/03
*Temperature @ 6:30am = 23 Degrees Celcius / 75 Degrees Farenheit
* Vacuumed Tank
* Changed 6 1/2L water
* Ammonia @ Approx 0.25ppm
* Nitrite @ 0.25ppm

Ok, question time :)

- Do i need to be doing the water changes every day? (changing approx 1/3 of the water in the tank)

- What sort of condition is my tank in, going by the readings i have given above?

- The temperature falls from 79 Degrees during the day to 75 Degrees during the night... is this a problem?

- What sort of temperature should i have?

Thanks for all the help so far, and sorry for being such a nuisance and asking all these questions :)

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Yes, you should be doing those water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites/nitrates down.

Your tank is comming along fine.

You might want to look into getting a new heater because the water temperature should not have that much of a change. Either that, or your heater is set for one temperature and your house is too hot. You want to keep the tank about 78 degrees.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store