Newbie needing help with cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm in need of help. I'm in the process of fish less cycling my new tank. I had 0 access to an already established tank.That being said, when I got my tank up and running on december 25th I added ammonia, which im assuming I added too much. I have the Api master test kit, and my ammonia was so dark, I did a 100% water change, refilled the tank and raised it to 4ppm, maybe slightly higher, not quite 8ppm. This is where I need help, after all the articles I've read they all say you should see a drop in a bout a weeks time... Which I have not. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just give it more time ? Thanks so much for your help

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I would give it more time, the bacteria you need takes a while to develop. Is the ammonia source you are using pure ammonia, no additives or perfumes?

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
I would give it more time, the bacteria you need takes a while to develop. Is the ammonia source you are using pure ammonia, no additives or perfumes?
Just ammonia and h20 !! I've been told by someone to do another water change, I'm very hesitant to do that, how long should I be waiting before I try something else? Why do cycles stall?

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Doing another water change won't hurt just do about 25%. Cycles can stall for various reasons but it sounds as if you used to much ammonia to start with try keeping it that 2-4ppm

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
With no introduction of beneficial bacteria from a known source; i.e., seeded gravel or filter media, you're having to rely on bacteria to come from your source water. It can and does happen, but if on a municipal system, the disinfectant (chlorine or chloramine) may be doing its job efficiently. If on a well, there is typically nothing for the bacteria to live on down in an underground aquifer. No food or oxygen, no bacteria. You may look into getting some starter culture, like Dr. Tim's, or possibly your lfs can get you a small bag of seeded media. Another way for the bacteria to get to the tank is on plants. You may give that a try. If you're not planning on live plants for your tank, you can always give or trade it away later, provided it survives. If it doesn't, discard it.

Mark

Reactions: krytan

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
Doing another water change won't hurt just do about 25%. Cycles can stall for various reasons but it sounds as if you used to much ammonia to start with try keeping it that 2-4ppm
Awesome, I did 25% water change and now I believe it's at 4ppm ... I guess it's just waiting now! I'm so impatient haha!

image.jpg

Alannahmay

AC Members
Jan 4, 2016
With no introduction of beneficial bacteria from a known source; i.e., seeded gravel or filter media, you're having to rely on bacteria to come from your source water. It can and does happen, but if on a municipal system, the disinfectant (chlorine or chloramine) may be doing its job efficiently. If on a well, there is typically nothing for the bacteria to live on down in an underground aquifer. No food or oxygen, no bacteria. You may look into getting some starter culture, like Dr. Tim's, or possibly your lfs can get you a small bag of seeded media. Another way for the bacteria to get to the tank is on plants. You may give that a try. If you're not planning on live plants for your tank, you can always give or trade it away later, provided it survives. If it doesn't, discard it.

Mark
awesome, I did get a "marine land, aquarium bacteria" Ive heard these products are hit or miss, is adding established media ok with ammonia in the tank?

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
if there is no livestock in your tank and the only thing you are caring for is the bacteria that will make your tank comfey for critters one day- don't bother doing water changes now- Leave the ammonia high- go ahead and blast it.

If you see its high, don't add more until it drops, but you won't hurt the filter bacteria by having 8ppm or 12. Don't add more until you see it drop, but there is no need to remove it. Let it ride. I think this is actually a better way to go- if you maintain a larger initial concentration, keeping track of the drop will be easier to do.

I think a lot of the info you get on cycling is too exhuberant.. It often takes 8 weeks+ to cycle a tank if you're starting clean, especially in the dead of winter. The nitrifying bacteria in your tank is the same stuff that rots leaves and dead squirrels into mulch in the woods- its everywhere on earth.. but it makes sense that in the dead of winter there is less of it in the air to seed your tank. If you did this is summer, with your windows open and the ground outside warm and teeming with life, it wouldn't take so long. Its a waiting game, and you want your tank to be able to process more ammonia than your fish will produce- high is good to start.

Do you have a nitrate test kit? or will you rely on your ammonia- its fine to rely on your ammonia kit- but you want to test it daily when it starts to drop and make sure you bump it back near 2ppm for at least 3 weeks past the initial drop. A good rule of thumb is however long it took for your ammonia to drop is how long it will take for the next two sets of bacteria together. Then stop adding ammonia, if you're test kit goes from 2ppm to zero in two days, the 3rd day you can begin to add livestock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store