Newbie needs help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Halye

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2017
Hey all! First time posting, hope I do this okay and please forgive my complete cluelessness on the topic. :( Was not the plan to inherit this tank, but trying to do right by it and need assistance!

I recently inherited a 10gal planted tank that doesn't seem to be doing so well. I've done some research on the fish and I know I have at least 1 Betta, 6 white cloud minnows, 1 pleco (unsure of specific type). There are currently some plants I have yet to identify (will try to get a pic when I get home). When I got the tank it was covered in a thin layer of slimy algae (on rocks, logs, even plants), but I attributed this to its neglect (owner had been ill for a while). I bought a gravel siphon, a scrubber, some filters, and cleaned it and changed some water and it looked great!....for a few days. Now the algae is back.

I went to my local petco, and they advised me to get some invertebrates, and now I also have 2 small Mystery Snails and 2 Amano shrimp. They've been in the tank for about a month now and still the algae is the same.

I change 10-20% of water weekly, using a gravel siphon I was told would help.

I do am SO new to this, and trying to do right by my fish and have a beautiful setup at some point, but all the info I find online is confusing, overwhelming and conflicting. I guess my questions would be:

1-am I missing something? Do I need to add things to my water beside water conditioner for water changes? Do I need CO2? More/less plants? more/less invertebrates? Are there specific plants that help with algae?

2-What sort of water testing equipment do you recommend? Should I test tap water, tank water, and if so, with what? What should I be looking for? (nitrates? phosphorous?) I have water conditioner I add when I do water changes but am not knowledgable with anything else.

3-Do I need different lights, and if so what kind? (from what I can tell, the tank came as a 'gift package' with a basic Aqueon filter, and a hood with built in LEDs)

4-Do I need different substrate? Currently have some terra-cotta gravel, i asked petco they said that should be fine for planted tank

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
1-am I missing something? Do I need to add things to my water beside water conditioner for water changes? Do I need CO2? More/less plants? more/less invertebrates? Are there specific plants that help with algae?
How long are your lights on a day? I can't jump to say, yes you need CO2 because I don't know what type of plants you have. I'm never a fan of adding livestock to fix a problem.

Algae thrives on two things: light, and nitrates.

If you limit your photoperiod to 8 hours a day, and keep your nitrates low, you'll limit your algae growth. However, larger more infrequent water changes will increase algal growth, because you'll be adding in a lot of micro nutrients. Small, frequent water changes are better for algal control as your micro nutrients stay more stable and your nitrates stay low.

2-What sort of water testing equipment do you recommend? Should I test tap water, tank water, and if so, with what? What should I be looking for? (nitrates? phosphorous?) I have water conditioner I add when I do water changes but am not knowledgable with anything else.
You'll find the most recommended is the API master kit. You want to mainly look at ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should test the tank water when you get the kit right before your water change. Record these numbers and then you can work out how much water you need to change to get the levels acceptable. Right before you do your next water change, test again and you'll be able to compare the levels to see if your water change schedule is appropriate or needs to be altered.

Ideally:
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = <20 ppm (though some say up to 40 ppm is acceptable)

3-Do I need different lights, and if so what kind? (from what I can tell, the tank came as a 'gift package' with a basic Aqueon filter, and a hood with built in LEDs)

Depending on what your plants are, the lighting you have might be appropriate, but its hard to say without knowing that.

4-Do I need different substrate? Currently have some terra-cotta gravel, i asked petco they said that should be fine for planted tank
The substrate should be acceptable, most plants are pretty adaptable.

Halye

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2017
How long are your lights on a day? I can't jump to say, yes you need CO2 because I don't know what type of plants you have. I'm never a fan of adding livestock to fix a problem.

Algae thrives on two things: light, and nitrates.

If you limit your photoperiod to 8 hours a day, and keep your nitrates low, you'll limit your algae growth. However, larger more infrequent water changes will increase algal growth, because you'll be adding in a lot of micro nutrients. Small, frequent water changes are better for algal control as your micro nutrients stay more stable and your nitrates stay low.

You'll find the most recommended is the API master kit. You want to mainly look at ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. You should test the tank water when you get the kit right before your water change. Record these numbers and then you can work out how much water you need to change to get the levels acceptable. Right before you do your next water change, test again and you'll be able to compare the levels to see if your water change schedule is appropriate or needs to be altered.

Ideally:
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = <20 ppm (though some say up to 40 ppm is acceptable)

Depending on what your plants are, the lighting you have might be appropriate, but its hard to say without knowing that.

The substrate should be acceptable, most plants are pretty adaptable.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share all of that. I posted some pictures in this thread also, with images of the plants/algae problem. I've definitely had lights on 24/7 and had no idea, but now that you mention that it makes SO much sense. I will definitely order some more tools to help control/test the water.
Would you also recommend more or different plants?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A proper light schedule is not only good for algae control, its good for your fish too. You can always add more plants. Anubias, java fern and cryptocorynes are my personal faves and they require so little care and you can make mistakes with them while you learn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store