Newbie saying Hi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Badbadger

Registered Member
Jul 6, 2007
Just wanted to say hello to you all. I've been lurking for a little while and somewhat overawed with the amount of great info here. Likely to become part of my daily read methinks.

I have just started out on my first tank and find it all a little overwhelming ! I always thought you bought tank, fill tank, add fishies and a plant or two. Feed. Done. Oh no, not quite.

I have a 35 gal tank with fake plastic trees (all my real ones died). Well, not quite trees but you get the idea. About 4 inches of gravel. 3 zebra danios and 2 dwarf clown plecs. Been running for around two months and I haven't done a water change. Thats tomorrow and not before time.
Water is around pH 7.0, 26C, ammonia ok, notrite very low, nitrate sky high (100 forget the units). The chart suggests that the fish will find this unpleasant to say the least.

I ordered a pump, airblock and algae magnet thing the other day but the order seems to have got lost so I'm popping down the local shop (which incidentally is very good) to stock up all the gizmos I'll need for a water change and general maintenance.

Soooo. Any tips for a total newb? What should my shopping list look like tomorrow? (money isn't too much of an issue - within reason ofc ;P).

p.s. The zebras seem fine and are their usual manic selfs. The plecs hide under a block of wood and rarely venture out. Algae is multiplying prodigiously (mainly on glass, and plants). There is a lot of detritus at the bottom of the tank. Whether this is dead plant matter, fishy turds or algae I don't know. Localised small black stringy matter.. presume a good vac is in order?

I'm English, 37 yo male, about to be a dad and worry that my fish are upset.
Thanks for any advice you give and for any in the future, as you're likely to see a lot of stupid questions coming your way ;))

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Copy this post and start a thread in the FW Newbie forum, where you will get plenty of response. Also, read the sticky at the top of that forum on cycling a tank to learn some things that are going on in a tank.

A well established tank that is properly maintained should have water parameters of ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates of 10-30 ppm.

You should be doing weekly gravel vacs and water changes in the 20-40% range.

If you do not have a good liquid test kit to measure the above items, you definitely need to get one. The gravel vac and siphon hose for sure. Also a bucket to do the water changes that does not get used for anything else. A Python is also a substitute for the bucket.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello..........:welcome:

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
:welcome: to AC

The stringy stuff... is most likely fish waste and probably the majority of it is the plecos. Plecos are often sold as a primary tool for combating algae and nothing could be farther from the truth. The will eat some algae however they also will eat some wood (certain species) and vegetables. Feed them with sliced courgette (zuchini for those of us on this side of the pond). For your algae problem get some ottos to help there.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
Welcome to the AC...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store