Newbie w/ comets needs help!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
The bacteria live on whatever substrate that there is sufficient water motion over. The more surface area that a solid object has the more room there is for bacteria to grow. Remember the smaller the particle size is the more surface area it has. As for filtration here's some general definitions.

Under Gravel Filters (UGF). These can be driven by airstones or by a powerhead pump. These filter by pulling the water down through the gravel and up through the tubes. These offer a large surface area but care must be taken in keeping them clean and keeping the flow rate adequate.

Reverse under gravel Filters (RUGF). This is the same setup as the UGF except a reverse powerhead is used to push water down the tubes and up through the gravel. This offers all the benifits of the UGF without the debris buildup. Usually a filter is needed before the powerhed to catch large particles.

HOB (hang on the back) filters. These filters usually offer less surface area for bacteria but have the highest flow rates. If you get one of these look for one with a lot of area for a sponge or biowheels.

Canister filters. These filters offer less flow than the HOB but they have much more for sponges, rings etc for bacteria to grow on. These are generally considered the best for long time service.

Canister filter + RUGF. This offers the highest filtration available. The canister filter is used as the primary filter. The outlet of the canister is then attached to the tubes of the UGF. This sends filtered water up through the gravel to remove the harmful waste products.

My suggestion is to buy equipment that you can use when you upgrade the tank.

If you want to, right now you can use a classic UGF with your existing HOB. Just be sure to do weekly gravel vacuums and 30-50% weekly water changes. But when it comes time to upgrade to a 55 gallon or larger tank you might have to buy new equipment. Depending on the shape of the tank the UGF plates might not work in your new tank. I personally would buy a canister filter at this point.

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
per V above...

I suggest an RUGF with one penguin 660R powerhead, + an HOB filter. I'd go with a whisper 40 or similar sized filter on a 33G tank.

"all purpose" gravel that you'll find next to the concrete in your local home improvement store is a cheap, natural substrate for an RUGF tank.

Whisper HOB's are cheap but not 'bad' unless undersized. I rinse the biofilter sponge in tank water and only change the filter frame. I use pantyhose over the filter frame for a great cheap particulate filter. you don't need the carbon unless removing medications or chemicals. Many folks like Aquaclear HOBs, too.

I have several tanks with RUGFs and Penguin 660R's, including a 75G with 7 big goldfish 4-7"...that one has 3 penguin 660r's driving the RUGF and a whisper 60 HOB. Works well.

you can probably get the UGF plates and the powerheads/HOBs online cheaper than locally. petsolutions.com and aquariumguys.com have reasonable deals on those.

...and you can keep the small tank and filter as a quarantine/sick tank...or put a few small fish in it.

--Don

Last edited:

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
I honestly don't think that a RUGF with an HOB filter will be enough. Although it will be fine for a few months, a canister is really the ideal filter for goldfish.

If you go with a HOB filter, buy one that is rated for twice your tank capacity. So for a 10 gallon, you'd want a filter rated for a 20 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store