Newbie w/sad daughter & sick fish...Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LifesaZOO

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
Hi there, I hope you & all your pets are well. Thank you for taking time to read my post. We just got a new tank for my 4 year old with two goldfish and a pleco. Well we have had one GF die, the replacement die, and the new one has ich. My daughter is so upset. Anyway, It’s a 10 gallon tank and I’ve been treating it with Ick Clear Tank Buddies by Jungle (I think) for about 3 days of TX in a row now with no results. My question is...should I switch brands of TX or what? I have been changing the water (20%) w/each dose, took out the carbon filter and raised the temp a little. I am wondering if the frequent water changes may be contributing to the problem by not letting it establish??? What would you recommend? I am afraid that the live plants, the pleco and the other goldfish will be harmed by the tx? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ~Shay~

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well there can be many problems here. ich is obviously bad but it sounds like your biggest problem is a new tank that has not cycled. Big water cahnges are very important at the beginning, especially with goldfish and plecos that are huge waste producers.

Another problem you will have is that you tank is no where big enough for the fish you have chosen. Goldfish can get anywhere from 6-8 inches for fancy varieties and 12-18 inches for comets and some plecos can top out near 2 feet in length.

How do you acclimate the fish to the new tank? Do you know the water params, such as pH, ammonia and nitrite levels. What is the temp normally as goldfish like a coldwater tank (70F or less). And do you use a dechlorinator for your water?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Goldfish should have about 15 gallons PER fish and plecos shouldn't be in anything under 55 gallons IMO.

Fancy goldfish which are the fish most people keep have a hard time digesting food and despite popular belief, do not like colder temps. Keep your goldfish happy by keeping the tanks steady at 72-75 degrees F. Plecos can be happy at this temperature also.

Also, I have several fancy goldfish that are 10-12 inches and they are absolutely HUGE. Your tank is a death trap, seriously.

-Cory

LifesaZOO

Registered Member
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
My fish store agreed to take them all back and tx the goldfish. They also explained some things to use and we are going to start over with tropical fish and hope for the best. Thanks for the insight..

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sorry wasn't really reading everything correctly when I said colder temps. I just saw goldfish. And of course you are right that "fancy" goldfish do tend to like warmer water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store