Newbie with Red Cherry Shrimps, need help asap!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
nice to hear they're out of that shipping bag and swimming around :) It was a good move putting them in the breeder trap until their new home is ready.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I've been wondering how they're doing. I'm glad to hear they're doing OK. Keep us updated! Lisa
My only concern really is I hope they can adjust to the new environment and water chemistry. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning when I wake up. The pH between the 2 waters are very similar but the GH and KH are totally different from one another. But being juvenile shrimp, I hope they are able to adjust quickly.

Also my gf informed me she ordered them and they were shipped on Tuesday of last week. They were in a bag for 6 days! =( I thought they were only in there since like Thursday or Friday. Could that possibly be the cause of the high numbers in the GH/KH?

But as pik01 said, I'm glad they are out of the bag and swimming around.

I don't have any advice since I'm currently setting up a shrimp tank of my own. Your thread is educational for the rest of us so thank you for keeping us posted with updates.
I have a paper and exam next week that I have to work on, but I'll try to keep this thread updated and set this tank up soon!

EDIT: I forgot to mention. Has anyone tried the new Hikari Shrimp Cuisine? I know some people on this forum feed their shrimp Hikari Crab Cuisine and other various Hikari foods, so maybe someone heard some reviews about the Shrimp Cuisine?

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
This morning I used a small knife cut off two 2mm chunks off of the Hikari Algae Wafer and put it in the breeding trap. The pregnant shrimp another were eating that chunk while 2 others were eating the second. The other shrimp were just sitting on the marimo ball. I hope they notice the food and get some before the other shrimps finish it. I had to go to class since I was late so I don't know if all of them ate. So far every time I view the shrimp, the pregnant one is always by the filter output. I think she likes the current flow.

The store lied I guess and they have to 'special order' the sand and it will be here friday. It's cheaper then me ordering it online and paying shipping so I'll have to wait even longer to set up the 10 gallon. I guess this gives me time to finish my school work so I may finish the tank this weekend for sure.

Also from what I know, copper is poisonous to shrimp/inverts.

Hikari Shrimp Cuisine lists that it contains copper for blood regeneration. Is it a bad thing?
Source: http://www.hikariusa.com/products/tropical/tropical_shrimp_cuisine.php

Last edited:

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
I wish I could continue to edit my most recent post so I can stop double/triple/etc posting... Oh well, it can't be helped.

How often do you fellow invert keepers feed your shrimp? I've heard reports of feeding a few times a day, to once a day, to once every 2-3 days. I often hear about overfeeding being an issue and I would like to avoid that.

I assume juvenile shrimp eat more often then mature adult ones. As far as I can tell, there are 2 red'ish shrimps and the rest have yet to show any coloration yet. So I'm guessing the colorless ones are still juveniles. I fed 2X 2mm size chunks of algae wafers this morning for the 6 shrimps and 1 baby shrimp. So when should my next feeding be?

Suggestions? Comments? Post away.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I wouldn't feed again until tomorrow. Not sure about the shrimp cuisine - I just feed sinking pellets. and they find other stuff to nibble on in the tank. I'm glad to hear they're doing well.

On a side note, what's you paper on? What are you studying?

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Oh, I'm glad to know that they can find other things to nibble on. I'll stick to once a day then as I feed my bettas.

My paper is for my Minority Groups in American Society class to fulfill one of my core requirements. It's a 'reaction paper' not really a research paper. I just got to find and article and write my reaction about it. It's basically a BS paper but it needs to be pretty long so it's more or less time consuming. But I plan to be a Marine Biology major (I'm undeclared at the moment). I'm not too sure what I want to do with that though. I guess I'll figure that out as I take more classes.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Where are you studying?

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ.

Apparently my oceanography professor told the class Rutgers Marine Biology/Oceanography program is in the top 10 best in the nation. =| I didn't know that. Rutgers has more Liberal Arts programs then anything else though. But then again my University is huge so who knows. Want to hook me up with an intern? Possibly paid? Anyone? haha.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Great School - hard work though! I'm a chemistry prof at a much smaller liberal arts college in New York, I see everyday how much more time our science students seem to have to put in compared to some other majors. Thanks for indulgin my off topic questions :)

It's exciting that the red cherries are still hanging in there -- are they in the breeder net or free in the tank?

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Well Rutgers is known to be a Liberal Arts University too, that's why I was so surprised to even find out my college was in the top 10 programs. Sadly most of my time gets put into my fish tanks/sleeping/eating more then my school work. =|

They are in a breeder net trap at the moment. I won't be getting more sand to finish the 10 gallon until Friday so I probably won't have any real updates on the tank until then. I guess I'll have updates on the shrimp, especially the pregnant one!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store