Newly Planted Tank Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think you're right chem. That's what I thought too.

If you do buy a double strip and get some decent bulbs you shouldn't have any problems growing plants. I would say with 40 watts over a 29 gallon you should be able to grow many types, but some need more light than that obviously. As for the hygros, you may have thrown them out for no reason. The leaves often come back as long as the stems are fine. They just need to grow new submerged growth.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Update!

Well I did some calling around, and found a local pet shop that had a twin tube fixture. I went to the store and found out the asking price was $75 :eek: . However two of them were out of the boxes and the guy offered me a deal - $50. So I snatched it up, and also picked up one radican sword and one more cardinal plant. I would have paid at least as much online with shipping charges included.

Now I've got 40 watts over my tank :D . Hopefully it will make a difference - I'm sure it will. I think when I order more plants it will be from online, since I don't like the selection at the local stores.

Do you guys have any favorite sites to order plants from? I'd like some val. for the background and maybe pygmy chain sword or something similar as a foreground plant.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the link djlen! I'll have a look at that site.

Tempest - Yeah, that's it! I love the looks of these little plants. They have big roots that are carrotlike, with green, roundish leaves that have a purplish tinge. They supposedly need only moderate light, so I'm hoping these do well. The guy at the store said everyone who bought some loves them and they are hardy. Time will tell anyway.........

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Originally posted by Aqualung
The guy at the store said everyone who bought some loves them and they are hardy. Time will tell anyway.........
Cardinalis is amazingly hearty, I have grown an entire field of lobelia from three tiny cuttings almost a year ago. You'll be doing a lot of pruning however.

The price we pay... :)

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
That's good to hear. I'd really like to see it take off......I don't mind doing some pruning when it gets to that point.

I'm trying to decide on what to order next. I'm definitely getting some pygmy chain sword and corkscrew val., but I can't decide on what else to get. I'd like some sunset hygro but I'm not sure if I'll have the room. Also I like the looks of the broad leaf ludwigia and also the bronze crypt wenditi.

Any suggestions on which of the three I should go for?

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Because you just added that new light I would say get as many fast growers as possible. Sunset hygro grows fairly fast so that would be a good choice. Also ludwigia or other stems. Once you have your tank is a nice balance you can take out some of the stem plants and get crypts or other slow growers.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Capt. I think I will go for the sunset hygro and broad leaf ludwigia, and some pygmy chain sword for the foreground.

Is corkscrew val. a fast or slow grower? I'd like some in the background, but don't know how much room I'll have with so many new additions.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I am a big fan of corkscrew vals. They are one of my favourites for sure. I find they grow fairly quick. They can send runners all over the tank and take it over if you don't prune.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store