Night Viewing COOL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Water World

AC Members
Jul 30, 2001
Galrand, TX
Could sleep last night so I did some night viewing with a flashlight. Wow:eek: Forgot how alive a tank becomes when the lights go off. To my surprise I do have pods, even with two wrasses. Found some feather dusters and some kinda red worm that live below the sand but have thin red tentacles that extend above the sand waving around. All my soft corals close shop for the night, and all the fish are sacked out. My snails are out in force... fascinating how fast they can scoot over the sand
Really cool. :cool:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try getting red filter for your flash light--you'll see even more stuff. We had a friend watch our house while back--came home to find him exhausted. Seems he'd been staying up all night watching the reef tank!

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Following my very first night-viewing experience, it didn't take long before I installed red 'rope-light' in my hood. The red lights stay on for a couple of hours after the last of the big lights go out.

After "lights out" everything comes alive - it's truly amazing. :eek:

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by BiggerWurm
gcvt,

Where did you get the red light?
Hey Wurm,
You should be able to find these at most hardware stores. Some have certain lengths already made up and ready for sale but I had them make this one to the exact length I needed. Can't really remember the cost but I think it was about $25, or so.

Hope that helps!

tetraodon

AC Members
Oct 13, 1998
MN
I've tried with low watt. red inc. bulb. It seems to work well, too. I also leave it on for a few hours after the lights go off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store