Nitrates ... Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daytonaguy1111

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
daytona beach fl
Visit site
I just checked my newly cycled tank , which has been running now for about two monthes and i checked the nitrate levals .....they were around 20ppm and holding but today there at 5ppm is the good ..im thinkin it means the cycle is going great .....just wanna make sure thanx Jon

Last edited:

Sharyl C

Mola and Me
just wanted to make sure that nitrites and nitrates were not being confused.

nitrates typically do not drop from 20ppm to 5ppm over short periods unless plants added or water changes are done.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
***I assumed that w/c's and the cycle process ending was what lowered the nitrates***

I agree though, nitrates don't just fall suddenly, not once a tank is cycled. If you've read one of my threads, I have said that my nitrates have dropped to 8 PPM after being at 20-30 ppm for years and years...the key thing here is that when I mean dropped, they dropped over a 6-9 month span of time.

Nitrates still have me stumped. I am always trying to figure out why my nits are so low...but hey, it sure is a nice "problem" to have, huh? :D

daytonaguy1111

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
daytona beach fl
Visit site
update....well i went to the pet store today just to get some supplies and to have my water checked be somone else just to make sure and yet nitrates are real low still below 10ppm but the prob now is that my p.h is at 8.4 tooo high for tetras and so im trying to use a chemical that came with the ph test kit called ph down .... so far it seems to be going up still im confused any help"??? thanx btw nitrites are gone also and ammonia is also at zero thanx

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Don't try to change the pH! :eek: This will (for sure) KILL your fish! I have had Tetras live in a pH of close to 9 where I used to live before so yes, they CAN live in such a pH. They might not breed but thats a whole other issue...

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
pH challenges

The thing about trying to change pH is that it always bounces back. It is the sudden swing that does great damage to fish. The pH scale is like the earthquake scale, 7.0 is 10 times worse that 6.0 on the Richter scale. Same with acidity/alkalinity. The chemical solutions that the store may sell you will only be a temporary fix, then the pH will bounce back.

If you must alter pH, do it by mixing in RO or distilled water. Know that distilled water has no oxygen in it, so pouring it in is bad, you should aerate it first, run an airpump and airstone for an hour or so.

First question, what is the pH of tap water that has set out overnight?

It might not be the tap water, but something in your tank that is making the pH so high. Fish stores sell sand and gravel that is meant for saltwater tanks that has shell and things that are meant to make the tank water near 8.2 pH which is great for satwater, not for freshwater unless you have chiclids.

daytonaguy1111

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
daytona beach fl
Visit site
ill check the tap tonight and find out ...i just did a 20 percent change on it on saturday ...but theres no shells or anything is my substrate and i have just plastic new decorations ...like i said the store said it was 8.4 and i got home and tested it and it was 7.2 so im lost im not sure whats right and whats not ....thanx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store