Nitrite Wont Go Down!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the reply's again..
Mandy, to start cycling the tank I had 2 yellow tails and 2 damsels in it for about a week and just let it run with the filter going...
I took a sample of water to the pet store and they told me I was all set to start putting fish in...
I went ahead with a whole bunch of fish, and woke up with next morning to find them dead...
That is when I started reading online, and starting doing things on my own, and realized that my tank wasn't cycled...

As to Starla, im not sure what RO water is, but I initially filled it with Tap Water and added salts and minerals to the tank. Then I did my water changes with drinking water and kept balancing the salinity of the water by adding salts as the salinity dropped...

cliftonsinclair

AC Members
Sep 10, 2006
KS
Aggressive fish and large fish are the exception to the rule you are not going to fit 8 sharks in there. Be smart with the fish you choose and everything should be all right. Also remember that the people that tell you, "start with damsels they are very hardy", forget to tell you that you will never be able to catch them again if you want to get different fish.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Please read my signature & do daily, until the paramaters are livable in there. You said you lost some fish. What do you have left? If you cycle with some damselfish, then there is only enough benefitial bacteria to support those fish & those fish only. Add more fish & you are literally cycling the tank with those fish too, waiting for the bactetia to catch up with that bioload. Cycling with fish is never a good idea. I'd return all your fish & start over. Look at articles about fishless cycling & you can fully stock the tank when it's done. Get rid of all your FW filtration (nitrate factories) & get a good protein skimmer.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I think that pufferpunk is right. The best wayforward is to return the fish to the LFS for a credit and then make sure you have the basics (LR and LS) and let the tank cycle. If you want to move it along use the "shrimp in a stocking" trick or pure amonia {Please read the article on using amonia before attempting}.

One clear recommendation is for you to at least get the basic API test kit so you can watch the cycle. A LFS is only interested in making sales. I am fortunate in that my Local Reef shop asks a lot of questions before selling you anything and tells you the impact and discourages you from jumping in too fast.

Keep up the water changes with Reverse Osmosis (RO) and De-Ionized (DI) water. You can get it a the water store and then mix up the salt water to 1.025. Another piece of kit that is well worth the money is a refractometer - measures the salt and is very accurate and easy to read. THis is one of the base measurements that you do all the time, as well as PH.

Hope this helps! Good luck and keep us posted.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey,
Thanks again for all your posts and support, i really really appreciate it and couldnt have gotten any better help anywhere else!
I already have a Refractometer Almondsaz, thanks for the advice though..

I will start water changes daily after I get back home from work today, and will give all my fish to a friend who's tank is cycled and stable. Should I keep two damsel fish though or is there already enough Ammonia in my water already to go ahead without any fish?
Also to get my water fixed before mixing it, I have bought a supplement from the LFS that claims to De-Ionize the water before mixing it with the rest of the water... Is that enough or do I have to go out and buy water from the water store?

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I wouldn't keep any fish at all until the tank is fully cycled.

This is how I would proceed:

1. Take out every single fish
2. Buy test kits. Especially for Amm, Ite, Ate,PH
3. Put a shrimp in a stocking/pantyhose and chuck in tank.
4. After 3 days test tank for ammonia. If around a reading of 4 take out shrimp.
5. Every 2/3 days test water and once ammonia and nitrIte are zero and nitrAte has come down to <10 and stayed continously at <10 then do a large water change.
6. After a week add fish - very slowly.

Personally I would not put the damsels back in at any stage as they are aggressive and become even worse with age.

I would look at getting an RO/DI unit and a bucket of salt as it is a lot easier to do water changes when everything is on hand, especially if you need to an emergency water change. I would never use any chemical that claims to "clean" the water.

HTH

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks for the advice catpicklesdog!
I have 2 more questions though,
1) Should I change the water or just use the current water?
2) Should I use a live shrimp or frozen one?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Thanks for the advice catpicklesdog!
I have 2 more questions though,
1) Should I change the water or just use the current water?
2) Should I use a live shrimp or frozen one?
I would definitely change the water
Use a frozen shrimp in a stocking (helps keep the bits together when it starts to deteriorate.

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
alright so i will remove all of the current water... should i change the live sand bed while im at it? and i cant seem to find "De-Ionized" water at any of the local water stores.. can i just use tap water? or drinking water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store