Nocturnal feeders

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mulla

AC Members
May 16, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Hi All,

Just wanted to know what everyone does about their nocturnal fishes. I've got an elephant nose that refuses to come out during the day. I've tried feeing his bloodworms during the day to try and lure him out but usually the other fishes get to them before any could land anywhere near his driftwood cave!

I've always just feed him when the lights are "completely" out (ie before going to bed, tank in living room). Coz even if aquarium lights are out and the room light is on, he would refuse to come out and feeding during that time will still be eaten by other fishes first.

However, I do know that he comes out in total darkenss. I can see his shadow crusing the tank when all the lights are out digging at the gravel / sand in search of food. Yes everyone says I'm crazy for staring at the tank in the dark but honestly I can see :)

Should I just keep doing this? Feed him before I head off to bed?? I'm tempted to stop feeing him in the dark and eventually hunger will kick in and he'll come out? But that sounds cruel and I didn't want the litttle bugger to go hungry :(

Thanks in advance for any advice / tips.

cmartin

Extra tanks - no place to setup :(
Mar 14, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
You may be able to 'train' him to come out in the light to eat - I know that some people have been able to do that with the Black Ghost Knifefish, but I have not. The risk you take is that he may stop eating or not get enough to eat and end up sick.

I still feed my BGK in the dark. I figure that they are nocturnal and I knew that when I bought him so it should be me that makes the adjust to feeding him in the dark - not the other way around.

I find that with a light on in the room (indirect lighting) I can see him quite well. He does come out in the day sometimes too but it took a few months of getting used to the tank before he would do that.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I have the same problem with my BGK. He absolutely refuses to come out in ANY sort of light. But, I know he must be eating because my ghost shrimp numbers are dwindling. And every now and then I find a dead guppy in the tank, I'm willing to bet he attacks when he can't find any shrimp.

Mulla

AC Members
May 16, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Thanks everyone that shared their experience. The reason why I was hoping to train him is that sometimes we need to be away for a few days for work and I normally ask our parents to come and help with the feeding. It wouldn't be right to ask them to return again after dark :( Tho I gather he could survive a few days, up to a week without feeding.

Guess he's still relatively new. Hopefully he can adjust and feel a bit more comfortable in the tank during the day.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Allow fish to adapt to changes in their lifestyle. Most eat during daytime especially the loaches. Still trying with my starry woodcat (Trachelyopterus galeatus) though.:(

V1xIII

AC Members
Jul 11, 2008
You could try one of those LED moonlights. I bought one for a 20gal to see if I could observe my spotted raphael more, but he just seems to sleep constantly unless there is food regardless of darkness level.

Those are supposed to work for nocturnal viewing for the most part, but if it doesn't it does at least look really cool at night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store