Nocturnal Tank...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm looking to put together a nocturnal tank some time in the near future...I saw some of the fish that I'd add to it in Rockford's Wal-Mart. (Although that place qualifies as a XXXXhole...)

So far, I've found Striped Raphaels (Platydoras costatus, I believe), Lace Synos (Are they S. eupterus or S. angelicus?), and I've thought about some other additions...

Are there nocturnal Plecos that are easy to find?

Any other recommendations?

It is purely theoretical at this point, but I'm willing to put in as much time and money as it takes to make the fish happy (but I don't really want to pay top-dollar for fish...I'd rather get things that are more easily found!!!)

fishfood

Jerk
Sep 18, 2002
Ohio
Originally posted by ChilDawg
Are there nocturnal Plecos that are easy to find? [/B]
From what I've read and heard, I think that most plecos are primarily nocurnal. I know that many like to eat and roam at night but pretty much stay hidden when the lights on. Maybe someone else can say so more definitively.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Many Synodontis are more crepuscular than nocturnal, not sure about Lace (they are S. eupterus). I f you get them trained to feeding after full dark, they are likely to adapt easily to that schedule. The wood cats (including the not uncommon midnight or Zamorro cat) are highly nocturnal for me, but I don't see a lot of them around anymore. As they tend to be free-swimming rather than surface-oriented, they might be a good addition.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Are the wood cats the ones similar to Tatia galaxias? Those seem like they would be nice fish if I can find them...

Looks like I'll have to do a little more Synodontis research as I missed the boat on their crepuscularity...I'll see what I can dredge up on the Eupterus now that I know the name...thanks, RTR!

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
An interesting noctural fish for you might be an Upside-Down Catfish. I've got one, and he never shows his face during the day...but will come out during the night. I manage to catch him about an hour or so after lights are out when I flip the room lights on.

Just a suggestion, sounds like a VERY interesting tank idea...maybe I'll have a use for my USD Cat yet!

B

BigFishDude

What about pictus cats?? They are just absolutely gorgeous.

Characin

Registered Member
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Fish at Night

My question is along nocturnal lines, too. I'm planning to have a tank in my workplace, which is a 24-hour operation: the lights will be on around the clock. Is this beyond the pale for piscine health, or will they do OK if some hiding places are provided?

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
cd,

Zamora woodcats (Auchenipterichthys thoracatus) are interesting fish very nocturnal. I'm not sure of your tank size. I think these guys only get about 4-5". Also, you may want to look at banjo cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store