Noise reduction ideas for HOBs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I have 2 Fluval 4 filters for a 125gal. Mine just have 2 sponge compartments each. I think there is a newer Fluval that has multiple media compartments.

If your canopy goes all the way to the drywall, with the HOB entirely contained, that would probably reduce the sound.

wren

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
After doing my research and trying everything, nothing works. The noise unquestionably came from the impeller but I have no clue where exactly the nose is generated.

Is it from the magnet hitting the well? I tried lubricating the magnet and well with vaseline and didn't make a difference. Is it from the magnet and blade assembly rattling around the axle? I tried to lubricate the axle with no success without removing and likely damaging the bushing. Is it from the worn out bushings rattling around the seats? I glued the upper end of the impeller with silicone to the seat in the shaft to stop the movement, and it didn't make a difference. My final trial was to replace the impeller with a new one.

Looking up Big Al and other mail order places, a new impeller for Penquin 330 costs about $14, so I ended up buying a new Penquin 330 for $20 after a $10 rebate from manufacturer. PROBLEM SOLVED!

I have many old HOBs that are getting noisy due to worn out impellers. I am looking for cheap replacement impeller as I don't want to throw away old HOBs that are working perfectly fine except for the noise. Any suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store