Noisy overflow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Any suggestions on a way to shush my over flow box a bit?? This thing is driving me nuts!! My filter is an aquaclear aquatics pro-150, which is the second one I have owned. Its a great filter, but I had forgot just how much noise the overflow made. I would like to aviod buying a new overflow if possible, but I guess if I have to I will...

TIA
"J"

Just wanted to share the solution with every one here. The simple addition of a ball valve on the sump inlet has made a whole world of differance. Sssooooo simple, I love it!! Just add a ball valve in-line some where on the overflow( I found that near the sump inlet was easiest) and turn the valve slowly till the noise stops. Simple, yet very very effective. Not a single sound from my overflow hose now, and no restriction to flow either.

I'm one happy reefer...:D

"J"

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Do a google.com search on stockman standpipe and durso. The stockman is for tighter overflows. I just set mine up this week and it eliminated the gurgling and water trickling sound completely. A ball valve can be a good solution but I have heard some horror stories about tanks overflowing onto the carpet. I would go with a standpipe. Mine cost me less the $10 to make and lesss then 30min to build.

Good Luck!

I don't see a problem with the ball valve, that is given that 1) nothing large gets sucked down my overflow, and 2) my kids stay out from under the tank.....hhmmmm.....perhaps I should re-think this....lol :D

"J"

afkouns

AC Members
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The ball valve does work for a lot of people. However it can be a little tricky to setup. My method I found by searching forums doesn't restrict you drain so there won't be any questions about waking up one morning with a flooded carpet. I'm more of a worry wort. So the ball valve isn't for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store