Northern Pike in a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
yeah we used to have a lot of pike and muskies in the lakes where I grew up in northern michigan. when I was a kid we had a state record muskie caught in otsego lake, but who knows if the record has been broken by now... it's been a while ;)

I would think a pike would be bad to have in a tank. they are really strong, need a lot of room and blah blah nothing you haven't read here already ;)

do you have other fish in your pond? If so I would think the pike will probably eat most of them, so you may want to take that into consideration before tossing him in there.

you might also want to consider if you use the pond for swimmming or anything like that since i remember a lot of stories growing up of pike nipping at toes and whatnot. might be old wives' tales, but I'm not sure i would want to risk it. ;)

good luck with whatever you do with him. If nothing else you could toss him in otsego lake (which used to have native pike populations, but I'm not sure if it does anymore) or one of the other dozens of lakes up there with known pike populations without upsetting any ecological balances :)

SuperLink88

AC Members
Apr 26, 2006
the pond is severely overpopulated with bluegill and i was thinking a pike might help with the problem. Its actualy a small 3 acre lake with an island in the middle, it has billions of bluegill, some bass, and i think a couple catfish but im not sure because they always fall of the hook when im fishing.

LunchBox

Me fail english? that's unpossible!
Feb 7, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
hehe that's not a bad sized pond (lake). a pike will definitely help cull your population of bluegill, and having only one (I assume the pond doesn't have a natural population of pike?) in there might make sure you don't end up with a pond full of pike!

that should make for plenty of room for him, and I doubt he will have any predators in there unless your bass are really big ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store