Nuchal Hump Champion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MASSMAN2

AC Members
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Those humps do make cichlids look funny. Are you guys sure that this is not a deformity?

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by MASSMAN2
Those humps do make cichlids look funny. Are you guys sure that this is not a deformity?
I don't know if that's consider as deform, but there are many pure cichlids that do have huge hump. Look at cichlidscene's Midas. That fish sure has a huge hump but it is all natural. As for the FH's hump...I doubt that is considered as natural since they are already hybrid.

MASSMAN2

AC Members
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Im sure the knots can grow naturally but did anyone ever do any research to see if that hump is not a natural deformity?

THose humps just doesnt look right being on fish. Just my opinions!

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Actually, I notice some Midas hump grow bigger when they feel that there is an opponent. Hmm...I think I should research into this. The hump doesn't grow for a reason. It is either related to breeding or just trying to look big :D However, if female grows hump...then that will be in question...won't it?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by MASSMAN2
Im sure the knots can grow naturally but did anyone ever do any research to see if that hump is not a natural deformity?
Please clarify, as any deviation from a perceived mean may be a "natural deformity"...yes, a statistician is on the other end of this conversation...how did you guess? :)

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Originally posted by Verse914
Heres a frontosa with a big#@& nuchal hump. Im not sure whos it is though...found it at duboisi.com 's gallery...
http://www.duboisi.com/gallery/0603/images/34_jpg.jpg
Until I see this picture, I was in the opinion that Frontosa and Moori have the most natural looking and attractive hump. If there is no camera trick, this Frontosa is the champ based on his hump size relative to the body.

I am not suprised that there is always another FH that has a bigger hump because they were seletively bred and raised for that feacture. But I am pleased to see that there are species out there that can beat FH.

I can't find any picture though but I have seen old groupers in public aquarium that have immense hump and personally, I had hooked a big male sea bass before that has an impressive hump.

t_h_e_s_a_c_k

Roses are ugly, and so is your face
May 18, 2003
CANADA
Visit site
I have to agree with all the people who have said that the hump is ugly... I found this pic of a midas cichlid http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gmidas.html
and i think it's the ugliest cichlid i've ever seen. Everything about it is ugly, it has this blotchy yellow colour and it's quite chubby on the sides. I don't think I could stand having a fish with a big hump... I'd probably end up poking it with a pin or something and watch it shoot around the tank like a balloon. What do they use the horn for? Probably ram the **** out of the other fish in the tank....

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by scholar
more likely than not, the hump is what is attractive to the female.

And thast's what counts!! :)
Correct :) It is like...Peacock has great and colorful tail to attract female. This is what we call...sexual evolution :D Always interesting to learn how nature works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store