OCEANIC vs ALLGLASS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

souk

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
st. paul,mn
Visit site
Oceanic....nice but, way too much. for fresh water...AGA should be fine. the glass brace on the Oceanic SUCKs BIG time for a reef tank. blocks out too much light. i like the AGA brace for a reef a lot better. it doesn't block out that much lighting. but its not going to be a reef so it doesn't matter.

the overflow on the Oceanic takes up too much space IMO. the stand issue...don't worry about it, its the same dimension

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
i wouldnt worry to much about it if ones cheaper then th eother go for it. I have Oceanics, AGA's and Perfectos even a tenecor. some of my tanks are 15 years old! i havent had one problem with any of them. save your cash!

aljen

AC Members
Apr 1, 2001
alsace0.tripod.com
Can the manufacturer legally void a warranty because the consumer does not make an additional purchase from the manufacturer?

That can't (or shouldn't) be right because it would allow manufacturers to build products that are defective unless used in conjunction with another of the manufacturer's products. If that is true, then the two products should be sold together, right?

edit: I mean the manufacturer should be legally required to sell the two products together as a package.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Why ever should they not? So long as they specify that the warranty applies only to units on approved (their own) stand, you agree to the warranty by your purchase. If you do not agree, don't buy. Folk who are concerned with the warranty will use their stands. Others are free to take to take their chances and the company has no liabilty if the tank cracks from an uneven or weak stand. Warranties are contracts, you do not have to agree. It spells out what the company will guarantee.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Just a FYI; here's Oceanic's warranty statement from their website:

IMPORTANT: READ SAFETY AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USE
AQUARIUM SET-UP INSTRUCTIONS
A proper aquarium stand is essential to the structural integrity of your aquarium. An aquarium stand is to an aquarium as a foundation is to a home. An improperly designed aquarium stand can severely damage your aquarium. The aquarium should be placed on an appropriate stand manufactured by Oceanic Systems, Inc. Furniture or other devices are not suitable aquarium stands due to the weight of a full aquarium. Do not place aquariums on or near electrical appliances such as TVs, stereo units, etc. When moving an aquarium it should be completely empty of all water and gravel. Care must be taken to lift the aquarium from the bottom not from the top frame or the glass center-brace.

OCEANIC SYSTEMS, INC. LIMITED WARRANTY
Oceanic Systems, Inc. warrants this aquarium, to the original purchaser, against glass to glass leaks due to defective sealant and workmanship as follows:

5 YEAR STANDARD WARRANTY
For a period of 5 years from the date of purchase, Oceanic Systems, Inc. will, at its option, either replace or repair the defective aquarium when purchased and used with an appropriate aquarium stand manufactured by Oceanic Systems, Inc.
Lifting or carrying the aquarium by the top frame may cause damage to the molding corner joints and will void all warranties. Drilling holes anywhere in the aquarium or in any other way altering either the aquarium or aquarium stand after their original manufacture by Oceanic Systems, Inc. will void all warranties.

Before contacting your dealer about your potentially leaking aquarium:
Have you checked your canister filter or power filter for leaks?
Do you have separation in the aquarium trim corner joint? (contact Oceanic Customer Service)
Have you recently done a water change and over-filled the aquarium?
Do you have a bubbler or air-stone located in such a place to cause water to bubble over the edge?
Have you water tested with ALL auxiliary equipment removed from the aquarium?

To obtain service under this warranty, you must RETAIN THE ORIGINAL DEALER'S BILL OF SALE FOR BOTH THE AQUARIUM AND THE STAND as evidence of the date of purchase.

PLEASE REGISTER YOUR OCEANIC SYSTEMS, INC. PRODUCT ON-LINE AT WWW.OCEANICSYSTEMS.COM

REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT, AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS NON-TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY, IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. OCEANIC SYSTEMS, INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damage, or allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that may vary from state to state.

To obtain service under this warranty, contact your nearest authorized Oceanic Systems, Inc. dealer. ©2002 OCEANIC SYSTEMS, INC.

OCEANIC SYSTEMS, INC.
11839 Shiloh Road
Dallas, Texas 75228
214.320.6050 PHONE
214.320.3110 FAX
customerservice@oceanicsystems.com

audio77

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
thanks guys, well i ordered the oceanic today. i figured if i can afford it get it, it wont be any WORSE! samson,... i go tthe MR400 and the CSL UV too!! cant wait. leos are 200 @ my lfs, not bad right?!

aljen

AC Members
Apr 1, 2001
alsace0.tripod.com
SamsonNY, thanks for posting the terms of the contract. The paragraph I find most interesting is the following:

"Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damage, or allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that may vary from state to state."

RTR, perhaps your state limits specific legal right that may vary from state to state. You and I don't live in the same state, do we? I live in California.

Don't you all want manufacturers to sell aquariums that are warranted against leakage, regardless of who constructed the stand on which the buyer placed the tank?

Think about it. As long as a stand is level, should it matter who built the stand?

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by audio77
thanks guys, well i ordered the oceanic today. i figured if i can afford it get it, it wont be any WORSE! samson,... i go tthe MR400 and the CSL UV too!! cant wait. leos are 200 @ my lfs, not bad right?!
Sounds great! And great price for the leos. Best of luck!

:)

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Dont All-glass tanks have a 10 year warranty, and they will honor it even if not used on their own stands?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store