Odd Fishless Cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

martsumoto

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
Hi guys,

Almost a week ago I started my third freshwater fishless cycling process ever :grinyes:

I have a 55 gal Tank that I kept in storage the past 8 months, everything I used to setup the tank again(gravel, heater, deco, wood etc) goes from the last time it was on service, that is again 8 months ago except from the filter which is a new 360 G/H Canister with new media (Sponge, bioballs, Ceramic rings, carbon the usual).
Since I knew bacteria would be dead from my subtrate and deco I used a few from an established tank from a local aquarium, I've been adding amonia with flakes not amonia per se but I also added bacteria (Bacillus SP, Lactobacillus Sp, Streptococus Sp, Aspergilus Sp.

I've been doing two measures so far and my results are:

April 19
NH3/NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 5
PH 7

*Did a 10% water change after the first reading, water was bit cloudy.

APRIL 21
NH3/NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 7
PH7

* Water is clear

Of course I don't have amonia or nitrite readings, with the bacteria I added they were kept away from the tank drastically but I'm surprised NO3 are climbing speedily even with a new filter. This is just too soon for a complete cycling but everything looks like it is. Any thoughts?
Should I wait just in case another week or should I add fish slowly?

Thank you

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
hoenestly...sounds cycled. It sounds like you never really went through the ammo spike. How did you provide your seed ammonia?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
It truly sounds like your tank has cycled. Maybe you had enough seed bacteria to cycle it more quickly. I would still wait a day or two just to make sure.

martsumoto

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
My thoughts exactly, I believe I never went through the ammonia spike probably because of all the bacteria I added myself which honestly was a little more than suggested :rolleyes:.
FozzyBear, The ammonia I've been adding, just common flake food for fish.

One could never be too cautious I agree with stormywendyann, I will wait a few more days just to be sure, if the next reading keeps the same path well this could be the fastest cycling ever

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Doesn't sound right to me - less than a week from set-up, with only a small amount of substrate obtained from an established LFS tank added in.
Highly unusual. Nitrates of only 5 to 7 is not at all high, and I suspect your local water supply contains that amount of nitrates right out of the tap. It's not uncommon in many areas. Test your tap water for nitrates.
I really don't think your cycle has even started.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I too would be leary of thinking your tank is ready for fish. Personally, I would add straight ammonia to bring it up to 2PPM and see where all your tests read 24 hours later.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
yeah, absolutely, if you've just added flake food then there is no being certain the flake has even decayed enough to produce ammo. I'd add straight ammonia until you're reading at least 2 PPM and then see. If you'd been adding pure ammonia the whole time I'd be guessing that you added enough BB and you're cycled. I just don't think you've provided enough ammo yet.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Depending upon the conditions the nitrifying bacteria could have survived for over 8 months on the substrate and wood. In a weeks time it could easily be restored back to a full colony. I agree to dose the tank up to 2ppm and if it is all converted to NO3 in 24 hours you are good to stock your tank.

Aspergillus is very common genus of mold not bacteria.

martsumoto

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
Thank you, I will be testing tap water for nitrates, its a good idea, and I'll be following your advice rising ammonia level.
How much would I need to add to rise to 2ppm in a 55 gal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store