Odd pleco behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
I noticed my bristlenose pleco was laying on his back under a piece of wood. When I walked up the the tank to get a closer look it fliped over and started "flaring" its gills at me. It would puff out some bristles that were right infront of its gills. Is this normal behavior or should I be worried? It was similar to when a beta flares except with bristles.

edit: I just checked it again and it is really spooked. When I walked up to the tank it darted off. Also sorry this should have been in catfish and bottom feeder section

Last edited:

Chadley

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Fl
Visit site
If it's a female it could be that time of the month ;)

I have no suggestions on what could be going on, sorry, just thought that might be a little funny.

Chadley

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Fl
Visit site
I tried some brief searching on the behavior of Pleco's and came up empty.....best bet is to (like you're doing) get some hands-on advice.

But I doubt it's anything too serious.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not unusual. Bristelnoses 'flare' as a defensive reaction, or when they're feeling perky. Mine will flare at other plecos, and when I feed a particularly tasty treat. Be careful, though--there are nasty little spines in there, fully capable of slashing you or another fish. If there's any recent additions, this could be the fish equivalent of "Don't even think about coming near my cave!"

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
There hasnt been any recent additions it was flaring at me when I went to look at it because it was laying upside down on the substrate under the driftwood.
I just checked again and it is laying in the same spot under the driftwood but not attacked to the driftwood. Should I be concerned with it laying on the substrate upside down?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tummy full? Color good? Feeding on a variety of green and meaty foods? Wood available? If yes to the above, I wouldn't worry. Mine will occassionally lay upside down in his cave--he starts out attached to the top, and gradually sinks down.

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
Ok I wont worry about it. Color seems fine, I alternate algae tablets and zuccheini(does anyone actually know how to spell that word :D ) slices. Only thing I was worried about is I switched declorinators from stress coat to chlro-out(no stress coat addative) so I thought that might have done something. All the other fish seem fine so hopefully its just being lazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store