Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Would you think this filter would be good for a turtle tank? Tank size 125g? I have a 75g tank that needs a filter and would like to put my canister on 125 on that and get a bigger powerful one for my 125g.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I think in its stock configuration where your only utilizing 1/6th of the surface area for filtration it would be quickly over taxed and clogged by turtle debris, but would certainly perform as well as any inline basket filter. If however you modify the filter as specified so that your using 6X the surface area with a Poly-quilt rap, you will get fare better flow, filtration, polishing and endurance and will make the best turtle filter you have ever used with the exception of an FX5.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
This is the modification I am talking about for your turtle tank that make this filter's potential so much more powerful.Im about to clean one of these filter mods that has been in service for almost a year, and still filtering strong, Ill post the results of the debris capture when I soon will service it.

Im not going to thank you taksan becasue I know what you said is based purely on merit and truth, nevertheless as a vendor I appreciate your wise words.

OK moving right along away from the drama lets look at CFS500 easy maintenance. You already seen how easy it was for me to pull out the entire media block in one piece because the top and bottom sponge were glued together. Now lets suppose its time for filter cleaning months down the road and compared to your other high maintenance basket and sump filters your wondering how long and how wet the job will be. Well with my MOD all you have to do is (1) pump out the filter in place, (2) Pull out the sponge block out and throw away the Poly batting wrap, (3) squeeze rinse the sponge block in treated water and (4) wrap a new pre-cut Poly batting around the sponge block and reinsert the filter-block into the canister. Now you done and ready to restart the filter which is able to self prime using the 1/3 remaining water, all of about 5 minutes once every 4-6 months. Now isn’t that smarter then cleaning filters on top of water changes every week.

Of course the main part is the filter wrap so here are a few detailed photos of my 2nd CFS500 being wrapped for use on my 100 Oscar tank.

BELOW THE TRIMMED FILTER BLOCK WRAP

BELOW ENOUGH POLY-BATTING IS USED TO TUCK IN BOTTOM AND TOP

BELOW THE CENTER STRAINER SECURES THE TOP-TUCK AND IS TOPPED OFF WITH A PRECAUTIONARY POLY-BATTING PATCH.

TOPPED OFF WITH THE BLUE PAD PROVIDED CUT TO DEFUSE AND ALLOW WATER ENTRY AND NEEDED TO TAKE UP ROOM BETWEEN THE LID AND FILTER BLOCK.

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
Hi, first post on here I think, was wondering if anyone has bought one of these recently?

I asked the seller about the o-ring issue and he responded that it had been taken care of for a while.

Was also curious if the lid design was changed to eliminate the problems with the cracking issues?

Just about to pull the trigger on buying one to mess with, wanting to change my 100g to a tropheus Species tank and was going to get a fx5 until I saw the review of this filter.

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
I just pulled the trigger and received my CFS 500 yesterday. I'll be using it for a heavily stocked all male cichlid hap&peacock 125 gallon display. My Rena xp3 is okay, but the flow is so low.

Gotta say, the lid and the bucket feel pretty heavy duty plastic materials. The hoses, and output and input tubes feels cheap and is thin....mostlikely i 'll replace these in the future.

The CFS 500 now has the cord routed through the top of the lid (my friend's older model has the cord routed through the side of the can). So now it is conceivable to use a more powerful pump. Only issue is how to wrap the power cord through the "rubber" plug of the top lid. It appears that the rubber plug is molded around the cord (it doesn't come apart unless you cut it apart).

Put some lube on the cord before and after the plug, hold onto the plug while pulling on the cord it will start to slide thru it, once you get some lube in the plug it slides easily.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Thanks for replying back! I will be ordering one hopefully at the end of this upcoming week.

Question where did you get that strainer?

reflexhunter

AC Members
May 17, 2010
I received mine in the mail on Thursday, super fast shipping by the way.

Did the mods to it on Saturday, hopefully I did it right lol, put it on my tank this evening, if it filters as well as it moves water then I just might have to buy a few more of these guys!

Thanks gunner for starting this thread, probably would have never have used this filter if it wasn't for your mod.

Now that I am in the modifying mood, I have a couple of magnum 350's.......:)

alyoung

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
hi i just ordered a cfs 500 and cant wait to get it and set it up i woant to do the mods to it but im a lil confused the add doesnt show a black foam pad so if it doesnt come with one where could i get one and what do i look for and also where can i find the poly blanket and what specifics if any do i need to look for. thanks to any and all who reply

Humblepie

AC Members
Jan 27, 2012
Just to update. I had one of the seals let go on my unit and it dumped half my 135 gallon tank on my basement floor. The o-ring around the lid broke. Just keep an eye on yours
There's an O-ring around the lid? I didn't see one on mine at all.

I ordered mine off http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-CFS4-Canister-Filter-p/42044.htm for $60 shipped. Got it in last week. Did the mod listed here. Glued the white and black foam pieces together with gorilla glue and letting it set over night Using a very sharp bread knife (I have an awesome Shun set with a nice VG10 bread knife) I cut about an inch away off the white and black foam pieces. The black foam I didn't cut away as much though. I left a little half inch lip from the bottom AND I didn't get where the the hollow part is from where the tube comes up from the pump. I felt that would open the foam cavity up too much and allow bypass.

I got some polyfit blanket wrap from walmart and wrapped the glued foam pieces in it. Make sure to tear a small hole where the output tube from the pump will go through. I cut a small piece for bypass as well for the top. Unlike the OP I only got a single blue pad, and not two. I got a bit away from the edge of the blue pad to let water drop down the sides as the pad isn't going to be used for filtering but diffusion of water to make it even around the polyfit blanket wrap.

I bought some 1/4" ID and 1-1/4" OD metal fender washers from home depot at 20 cents a pop. I picked up the same size neoprene washers there as well for 83 cents a pop. At 6 washers that was $6.18 for the washers. The poly fill quilt batting from walmart was only $6.94 for the size I bought. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Extra-Loft-Quilt-Batting-81-x-96/17808679 is what I picked up. I did buy some 1" ID hose at home depot. They sold 10 foot hose for $16 and 20' hose for $30. I ended up getting the 20' hose. Why the new hose? Well the hose that come with the filter is crap right now. It's short at 2.5 feet per hose, which was not long enough for me, and I didn't like that grey vinyl material used either.

The O-rings for my filter unit were all the correct size at least. The lid I got seemed sturdy enough, but I still wanted the extra preventative precaution that the washers provide.

I had the suction holders for the intake bar and the spray bar output. They are junk on this thing. The actual spray outlet I am going to change over into a spray bar later, but what came with the filter is adequate at least for now.

Overall the price was 60 + 30 + 13 for a total cost of $103 for this filter to get it up and running how I wanted. Not bad at all compared to the competition. It seems to be working great, but I'll have to wait a few months to see how well it's filtering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store