Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caall99

AC Members
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for the response! I guess its a tough call, attach my nice UV sterilizer to a brand new, work horse, permanent filter like the CFS500, or attach it to my fluval 404, that i essentially picked up for free and would be superfluous to my tank setup. I am sure the sterilizer would benefit from the slower flow of the 404. Either way, i am faced with replacing the crappy ribbed hoses that both these filters have. Any recommendations there?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Thanks for the response! I guess its a tough call, attach my nice UV sterilizer to a brand new, work horse, permanent filter like the CFS500, or attach it to my fluval 404, that i essentially picked up for free and would be superfluous to my tank setup. I am sure the sterilizer would benefit from the slower flow of the 404. Either way, i am faced with replacing the crappy ribbed hoses that both these filters have. Any recommendations there?
Fluval's FX5 is a masterpiece and the most effective canister filter made, but Im no respecter of name brands and call it like it is when it comes to performance. Having said that it is my opinion that when it comes to top-motor basket canister filters the Fluval 404 is the most ineffective at filtering dirt as it has a substantial amount of built-in bypass, using water-flow channels that allow up to 75% of the water to go around the filter media. I owned 3 and gave 1 away with a 60gal take sale, another with a 100gal acrylic tank sale, and the 3rd is in storage awaiting the sale of my 55gal I will be selling soon. IMO the Sunsun 304 runs circles around the Fluval 404 when it comes to filtration and compared to the CFS500 it like comparing a Shuttle-Craft( http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwagTpEnvX76FUm9HzzCJS9o1D1xnMMsbYdwFKl1pTjAML8Jry )to a Bird-of-Prey( http://blogs.birminghammail.net/technobabble/Reference_Studio_Bird_of_Prey1.jpg )lol.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
CWO4GUNNER, can you PM me, for someone reason its not letting me PM you and I have some questions I'd like to ask you.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
CWO4GUNNER, can you PM me, for someone reason its not letting me PM you and I have some questions I'd like to ask you.
I believe I did receive your PM and in a nut shell replied as follows: The key for this CFS500 filter is the MOD that transforms it into having 6 times the filter surface area of your average basket filter which among other things prevents clogging without by-pass. for example the XP3 total surface area is represented by the dimensions of the 1st basket. Even if the XP3 had 20 baskets in line (XP20) the throughput capacity of the filter would not improve because the total surface area is still represented by that 1st small basket opening. The only way to improve a filters performance is to increase that 1st opening, so the Odyssea MOD uses the entire surface areas of the filter as the 1st opening which in this case is about 6-8 times greater then the XP3. Here is my formula FE (Filter Efficiency) = FSA (filter surface area) divided by FMD (Filter media density or bulk) or FE=FSA/FMD. The higher the FSA the higher the FE, the higher the FMD the lower the FE.

jerryclunsford

AC Members
May 29, 2012
I don't know how much of problem it will be for freshwater users, but with salt water if you get the ribbed hose with the pump replace with smooth as soon as possible.
Bacteria builds up in the ribs and is almost impossible to remove while cleaning. When you reconnect the pump it blows clumps of bacteria colonies all over your tank. While not dangerous it sure makes it look ugly until the filter removes it.
Even after completely tearing down the intake and output assemblies and flushing, and twisting the tubing to break it loose for over a 1/2 hour I still a tank full of crud.
A brush with a flexible handle like a chimney brush would Probably work well but it would be easier and probably cheaper to replace the hoses.
jerry

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
You increased the total surface area at the expense of reducing the effective area that beneficial bacteria can proliferate. By adding the the polishing pad, you then reduced the area just like your xp3 example. This filter can easily be mimicked by placing a good sponge filter coupled to a power head inside the tank.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
My two CFS500 have been running now for almost a year on timers and if anything else was going to be an issue it would have happened by now, the very simple fixes resolved I give it the big green light for those critical but really wanting one. After using many filters from sumps, HOB's and many type canisters, I can honestly say that the CFS out performs all home filters except the FX5 which although the FX5 is much more powerful ( up to 400G), the CFS500 performs very similarly on a smaller scale (up to 100G). This due to its bottom pump (high pump rate) and circumference (high surface area design), and that its a pressurized system. For the price and power apex, it is the only additional home canister filter I will buy in the future, so there is no need to hesitate trying it any longer, you can go buy the CFS500!.

ric44

AC Members
Mar 12, 2005
Ky
Gunner I see a 40L tank in my future and am considering the Sun Sun 302 or the CFS 500. I realize the 500 would be overkill on the 40 and Id probably have to throttle it back using ball valves. Which one should I go with if I dont plan for any bigger tanks?

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Gunner I see a 40L tank in my future and am considering the Sun Sun 302 or the CFS 500. I realize the 500 would be overkill on the 40 and Id probably have to throttle it back using ball valves. Which one should I go with if I dont plan for any bigger tanks?
Better late then never lol. They are both priced well and I own both, however they are completely different in design. The 302 is a stacked basket filter with the motor in the lid, while these type filters are very user friendly for the the non-DIY type they are very inefficient and far less effective then a commercial style circumferential type filter like the CFS500 or FX5 where the motor is on the bottom and actual pushes the water rather then draw and has up to 10 times the filtering surface area for higher GPH over and extended period. Unless your super big on convenience I would go with the better filter CHS500.

dbbyjc1

Registered Member
Jul 12, 2012
Hey Gunner, I got your email about what kind of sponge to use a a replacement for the one that comes with the CSF-500. But Im not sure how to modify the bone shaped sponge. Would you do a tread with instructions on how you modified the sponge? I would have sent you a message but im new to this site and havent figured out how to use it yet!

Thanks for your help, Debby
My e-mail is: dbbyjc1@yahoo.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store