Odyssea CFS 500 Can-filter review and circumference modification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Hey Gunner, I got your email about what kind of sponge to use a a replacement for the one that comes with the CSF-500. But Im not sure how to modify the bone shaped sponge. Would you do a tread with instructions on how you modified the sponge? I would have sent you a message but im new to this site and havent figured out how to use it yet!

Thanks for your help, Debby
My e-mail is: dbbyjc1@yahoo.com
Better late then never lol. It is now actually hard to find the giant bone shape car-wash sponges as they now sell a smaller version. If you have the large ones just cut it in half and then use a bread knife to stab each in the middle on its flat side like a do-nut hole, only dont cut a hole just make a slit so it fits snug around the strainer tube. Then just stack them and trim the bottom sponge so it fits over the pump motor just like the original sponge. Its really pretty strait forward, even a cave-man can do it.:confused:

xAquaManx

Registered Member
May 14, 2013
I have to say I was pretty impressed reading about this mod. Theoretically, it's a great idea..so I decided to try it. I am completely disappointed. All it seems to do is give you less sponge, and create water noise where there was not before - regardless of how much I shake the canister to get rid of air, and has made an absolute mess of my tank (junk inside the hoses). Ugh. Is it supposed to be like this? I cut 1 or 2 inches off the white sponge, didn't touch the black, and wrapped them both in poly blanket, tucked under at the bottom and top, and put the not-touched blue sponge back on top. I hear the water running into the canister now.

MeCasa

Registered Member
Jul 14, 2014
I have both a 700 and a 500 on my 150

How do I know if the UV is on on the 700?

There is no on/off marked on the switch

Thanks

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
I'm so glad to find this thread again! I've had my CFS500 going strong for a few years (did the O-rings when I bought it), and this last cleaning did in the lid (both the cracking issue and the leaky valve knobs all at once), so I'm glad to see that there should be relatively easy fixes for both. Thanks!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Oh wow surprised this thread is still alive. Its been along time and things have and are changing for me. My tanks are pretty much filled with Tilapia now and the stock is so large in size now that I am seriously planning on moving out of tanks and into a pond. As far as my CFS500 and my FX5, I have managed through experimentation to break my records on time between cleanings, about 12 months with absolutely no problems and almost zero fish deaths, like 1 every year from old age. Now what you are about to hear you probubly wont believe but I found that traditional periods between fish feedings and water chnages traditionally are being way way overdone. Today I feed my fish once every three days and my water changes other then adding water due to dehydration, are about once every 6 months. The result is I have experienced much cleaner tanks, far fewer fish death and fish with much longer life span. There is more too this of course with Pothos plants growing out of my tanks across the house with leaves the size of shoes. Anyway I just thought Id stop buy and say hi. When I have my pond going Ill post some info and pics, in the meantime I'm downsizing.

God Bless

PS, while the FX5 is IMO the most effective, long lasting, and reliable canister filter bar-none, its little brother the CFS500 may not be as powerful having a few material issues to deal with, but the CFS500 is the most amazing bargain filter for the power and overall value ever made IMO.

Last edited:

dnblack

Registered Member
Jan 19, 2015
re: Odyssea CFS500. Buyer Beware! The filter is working beautifully 6 months on, but don't expect any support from Aqua Traders. The Chinese manufacturer of this FX5 clone (which is probably illegal) has _not_ addressed the fat O-ring problem that Gunner figured out, and Aqua Traders repeatedly ignored my requests for help with a sticking valve even though the problem had been brought to their attention. They invited me to send the unit back to an address in China! Here is a section of our correspondence:
1. Are you aware of the problem of sticking quick-release valves which has been widely discussed in online forums?
2. Is the sticking quick-release valve problem caused by O-rings which are too thick? (This has also been brought to your attention: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?249341-parts-for-odyssea-cfs-500)
3. Will you replace the valves for $12? Or would you rather I return the entire filter for $60?
Please be specific.
Response from Aqua Traders: Manufacturer guaranteed the ballast/ motor up to 180 days from the date you purchase the item, you need to send the item to the location below, including a copy of invoice proofing the purchase date and a return shipping label that you can receive the replacemen [sic]: 165, Changdi Street,Luju Road, Liwan District, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510370, China

The problem was solved for $0.78: 2 thinner O rings and a little bit of Vaseline and I can now pop off the "quick release" valves as intended.
This post is to warn buyers that Aqua Traders is not interested in supporting their product; once it's yours, you're on your own.

Thetman36

Registered Member
Nov 27, 2015
New York
Real Name
Todd Evans
Oh wow surprised this thread is still alive. Its been along time and things have and are changing for me. My tanks are pretty much filled with Tilapia now and the stock is so large in size now that I am seriously planning on moving out of tanks and into a pond. As far as my CFS500 and my FX5, I have managed through experimentation to break my records on time between cleanings, about 12 months with absolutely no problems and almost zero fish deaths, like 1 every year from old age. Now what you are about to hear you probubly wont believe but I found that traditional periods between fish feedings and water chnages traditionally are being way way overdone. Today I feed my fish once every three days and my water changes other then adding water due to dehydration, are about once every 6 months. The result is I have experienced much cleaner tanks, far fewer fish death and fish with much longer life span. There is more too this of course with Pothos plants growing out of my tanks across the house with leaves the size of shoes. Anyway I just thought Id stop buy and say hi. When I have my pond going Ill post some info and pics, in the meantime I'm downsizing.

God Bless

PS, while the FX5 is IMO the most effective, long lasting, and reliable canister filter bar-none, its little brother the CFS500 may not be as powerful having a few material issues to deal with, but the CFS500 is the most amazing bargain filter for the power and overall value ever made IMO.
Hi
CWO4GUNNER I have read this entire thread wow amazing information and great that it has continued over so much time. I Just bought an FX6 off of ebay and have not received it yet. Then I came across this thread and while I am sure I will love the FX6 I am interested in getting the CFS 500. I have a 210 gal reef tank that I converted into a fresh water African tank. I run a 90 Gal. sump with a water blaster pump pushing 2000 gph. I use filter socks and poly pads for mechanical filtration and bio balls for biological. I have always had issues with the mechanical not being sufficient. I have been running 2 Aquaclear 70 Powerheads with scrubber filters attached. They clog up weekly and need to be swapped out for new filter pads. I was looking for the most effective mechanical filter to help with this issue. I was wondering if in addition to the FX6 a CFS 500 would be overkill. Also how is the fish pond coming along?
Happy Thanksgiving!

jerryclunsford

AC Members
May 29, 2012
The CFS 500 is a good filter I have had one running for around three years only turned off to clean.
I have had no problems.

jerryclunsford

AC Members
May 29, 2012
Did all but the flange mod. Have not had any problems with it. It was one of the newer models with the cable run through the lid. Plus I am careful about tightening the cover nuts incrementally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store