Off Shots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
With the bettas picking up stuff I meant little rocks that could get stuck in there mouths.
But I didn't know they did actualy pick up sand I thought that was more of a goldfish thing?

Maybe ill try the clay pot,
will the clay pot be fine long term in the water,
also were would I find root tabs? Oh also what type of sand should I use? (sorry im a complete novice when it comes to aquarium plants)
Thanks for all the help so far :)

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
It isn't common with bettas; you're right. But any fish might pick up a bit of rock/sand if it thinks it sees food lying on the substrate, or is curious for whatever reason.

Clay pots, much like the one you linked to, are perfectly fine in the water. People use them all the time in the hobby for things like providing shelter/breeding caves to fish that prefer such things, growing algae to provide plecos and such with surfaces to graze on, and, of course, holding plants.

I've never used the betta sand you indicated, and would hesitate to use something described as "glittery"—pool filter sand is my preference, personally speaking, but people have used play sand, too (just make sure it's not treated with anything to prevent mold growth or the like). The root tabs can be found at any pet store that sells planted aquarium supplies. You can probably also get root tabs from many of the vendors/other sellers on the marketplace here.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I didn't realize it even said glittery... definitely not getting that.
I think ill try pool filter sand.

Just wondering do you know why clay pots are ok in water, Im assuming because its techniqly hard dirt of sorts, but I wasn't sure If theres a specific reason for it?

Also ill probably look for root tabs on amazon, since we don't have a lot of LFS in my area, but is there different kinds in the sense of ones for aquarium use and ones for regular gardening?

asukawashere

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Fairfield, CT
asukawashere.com
Real Name
Amanda Wenger
They're made of calcined (superheated) clay—the heating process fuses the particles of clay together, so that when they're reintroduced to water, they don't break apart. Aside from that, they're chemically inert and therefore won't break down due to processes like oxidation.

As for the sand, the exact word they used was "sparkly"—for all I know, it could very well be mica (a harmless mineral) that gives it the "sparkle," but you never know o_O'

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
That's true, but I think ill go on the safer side and get some pool filter sand.
That can be used as substrate too right?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I used pool filter sand in my 33Long as substrate I think it came in a 25lb or 50lb bag don't remember but I used a 5 gallon bucket and just ran a hose to get it clean. Even so the tank got a little cloudy but the filter cleared that pretty quickly. (be careful with the force of water you obviously don't want to dump the sand overflowing out of the bucket.) I get my clay pots from AC Moore they have a large selection of sizes and you can always print coupon although they are already pretty cheap just give them a good cleaning. Some recommend bleaching but I've never done that myself. I haven't used sand in the pot but I'm sure you can you just have to use something to cover the hole at the bottom of the pot. I've used filter pad from my sump. In my pots I use a pretty large gravel with root tabs or mineralized soil amazon plants aren't that picky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store