OH NO, I have Two Pacu's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jeo4

Opious
Nov 5, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
I have been looking and searching up these huge fish, you might know about them, the pacus. And from what I can tell is that they get HUGE and really fast. Yeah, and guess what I have 2 of them. A friend gave them to me for my birthday, about 3 weeks ago, and i never thought much about them. I saw that they got along with my other fish, and figured they would be alright in my 55 gallon tank. However I noticed that they were growing very rapidly, and then they ate 2 of my pictus catfish. I got a little worried and looked these guys up. I have found that they can get up to 2 feet! And my 55 gallon tank is only 4 feet long. Does anyone think that I might get lucky and these guys will stop growing?, or do you think I'm in trouble? Please help.

Opious

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Take them to your LFS and see if you can trade them for something more suitable for your current tank. A 55g isn't even close to being big enough for two pacus. At least 500 gallons would be needed....1000g+ would be ideal.

Nov 15, 2004
Slappy*McFish said:
Take them to your LFS and see if you can trade them for something more suitable for your current tank. A 55g isn't even close to being big enough for two pacus. At least 500 gallons would be needed....1000g+ would be ideal.

Agreed. Trade in or donate if they won't allow you to trade. Good luck!

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
yeah, those buggers get huge!!! I have a buddy in portland who had one. got it when it was quarter size, a month later it was nearly the size of his fist!!! and no, ,unless you want a seriously stunted, bummed out pair of pacus- thy will not stop growing... :duh: I second slappy's motion and trade them in for more suitable mates. there are tons of great fish that fit nice in a 55.

Last edited:

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
jeo4 said:
or do you think I'm in trouble?
I think you're in trouble...lol ;)

Trade them in before they get any bigger, or the LFS may not want them either....

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
They will stop growing in your 55 gallon but unfortuantly it will be due to their stunting or death. I would also suggest you see if a fish store will take them in. They are great fish for a large display tank.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I was at my LFS this weekend and they have a large Pacu in a pond tank. They told me that the reason his nose looks funny is that he slammed himself against the glass of his 150 gallon aquarium until he finally broke the whole thing. Luckily for him the LFS took him in or he would probably be sushi.

Pretender

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Space Coast of Florida
I think there are few aquaria outside of the large public facilities that can properly house Pacus. A coworker told me they had friends with Pacus in their pond, but I think you'd still need an unusually big and deep pond to keep them happy. (And I doubt you can keep them outdoors in North Dakota or Saskatchewan.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store