OK..the tank is home......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
Picked up my new 150 yesterday. I pretty much have info I need on LR and DSB filtration. Lighting is ingrained on my brain. All the "basics" are well into my head (thanks to this board and a lot of reading!). I got a little bonus w/the tank..a Rainbow Lifegaurd system w/mechanical, chemical, and heater modules run by a Little Giant pump (works great!). Now to the questions: Like I said, the LR and DSB are coming together in my head....but, would it hurt to run the mechanical and chemical every once in a while? I plan on letting the whole system run just for the heater module with nothing in the other two modules. Would it be a good idea to put in mechanical sleeve and carbon maybe once a week? Every two weeks? for a couple hours. I'm just having a real hard time with the "no filtration" deal for a reef. It's gotta be my freshwater background....any thoughts much appreciated!!!

Mike

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Hey Mike - congratulations on your new tank!

I know exactly how you feel about the 'no filter' thing; I was completely thrown off by that when I first started researching marine tanks way back when. But, it's true...really! :)

As difficult as it was, I tried to put aside all my freshwater knowledge and start with a clean slate for marine.

You could run a mechanical filter every now and then to polish the water, but it's generally not necessary. I originally bought an AquaClear 500 to use on the edge of my sump to polish the water...I ended up never using it for that purpose. It's on my planted tank now. Also, you shouldn't need to run carbon either...unless you're trying to remove medications. Of course, I'd recommend a hospital/quarantine tank so you don't have to medicate your main tank.

Cheers

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
You make no mention of a skimmer. I would recommend a skimmer for anyone starting into saltwater.

From time to time you could drop a carbon filter into the system. The carbon would help to remove any 'yellowing' of the water caused by disolved organics.

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
Forgot to mention...yes!!! definately an appropriate skimmer!!!

I have never done salt...but I do know...bigger is better!!

Got the tank on Ebay...paid $202 for the tank and little extras..as far as the Lifegaurd system. Drove almost 3 hrs. to pick it up..l.but well worth it. Got a gaurantee it does not leak...but even it does...I can spend a couple bucks for the correct silicone as oppossed to the extra couple hundred for the tank. Still looking for a manufacture name...but...the glass is 3/4" thick and there is NO "brace" in the center of the frame. This tank will not flex in the center under "extreme" push. It is definiately not an All-Glass!! Almost thinking a Tenecor or better!! Not sure...but she is bad!!

Mikey

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
I use chemical filtration (carbon) once a week every month.

I also run mech filtration whenever i "blow off" the LR.

As soon as the water clears up, i take out the mech cartridge and rinse it off.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by slipknottin
I use chemical filtration (carbon) once a week every month.

I also run mech filtration whenever i "blow off" the LR.

As soon as the water clears up, i take out the mech cartridge and rinse it off.
slip - how long do you leave the carbon in?

fishinhd

AC Members
Dec 25, 2002
rehoboth beach DE
Visit site
Biggerwurm...sorry i missed the question on dimensions. It is 72" long, 26" high and 18.5" deep (front to back). It is going in a wall going up my steps. The whole tank will sit in the attic (future office)...yes it is insulated. Beafed up all my lower and upper floor joists as I have been planning this since we started the house. The house should be done in a couple weeks...then start work on the tank. One other question about the DSB: how many pounds of livesand should I use to seed the rest of the sand I use? Thanks to everyone for the help!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store