old dog needs new LED tricks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, does anyone have suggestions on using a timer with these? It comes on w/blue moon leds & with a click of the M button goes to the preferred mixed white light...but what about if we're on vacation? No, we don't have smart phones if that's what needed. Does our fish sitter need to "fix it" everyday he's here while we're gone? Seems like there should be a better way...but I don't know what that might be. Help please!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't know about those lights specifically as I've never used them.

But all the ones that can be dimmed or altered while on, should go back to where they are if the power is removed rather than turning off with a switch.

Have you tried just plugging and plugging back in? See if it comes back on to the light you like?

If so any old timer should work just fine.

That's at least where I would start. Next might be to Google using them with a timer.

The instructions are likely of no help

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, no, the instructions didn't help with any timer use. I will google around but need to look more. I'd hoped someone like you or NoodleCats could help me....I will try what I understand soon & will try plugging back in & with what the timer does...I feel lost in some ways...You know I'm lame...

Really not a problem yet. We're home & can click it up a notch

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I expect NC has actual 3xperuence..

But if you have a timer, I would suggest just trying plugging into it and seeing what happens.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I did plug it into a timer to see what happens tonight & more importantly, tomorrow. The problem is it doesn't "wake up" the same every time. Heavy vs lighter fingered button pushing? Maybe it's a cheap LED thing...

Fingers crossed for white factory settings, not moon blue.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You should be able to turn it on and off just using the timer, and see what happens without needing to wait for the am .

If you post the model number I can see if I can dig anything up.

But fingers crossed!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, they came on this am! But I'd gotten up in the night & they were still on. I had forgetten to check that the timer was in "timer mode" rather than just "on", oops. I'm feeling pretty confident.

Thanks for the offer though!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Did they come in how you wanted them to?

Or wrong color/brightness?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
(And everyone who is honest gets something wrong setting up a timer for the first time.)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, they came on in white/mixed colors! This wasn't the first time using this timer, all of mine are like it...The old kind mechanical type with pins to lift or push down for the on/off times. I have also accidentally pushed down a random pin or 2 when turning it to set the time. Always funny when a tank comes on for an hour, if I'm up to notice...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store