Old food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TPIRman

Fishkeeping Yellow Belt
Mar 5, 2004
New York, NY
Visit site
??? This is getting confusing.

Transparent: light passes through
Translucent: light passes through but is diffused to some degree
Opaque: light does not penetrate

If it's opaque, sunlight isn't a factor. Still wouldn't use it, though -- seems like enough nutrients would have been oxidized by now that the food wouldn't have much nutritional value.

Good point about the expiration dates, bozco. Hikari food does come with an expiration date stamped on/near the bottom of the container, but that's the only brand I've ever seen that is dated. For what it's worth, the expiration date seems to be about 2 years from the date of manufacture.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
From dictionary.com:

o·paque ( P ) adj.

a. Impenetrable by light; neither transparent nor translucent.

b. Not reflecting light; having no luster: an opaque finish.

2. Impenetrable by a form of radiant energy other than visible light: a chemical solution opaque to x-rays.

a. So obscure as to be unintelligible: “opaque, elusive, minimal meanings” (John Simon).
b. Obtuse of mind; dense. See Synonyms at dark.

Personally, I'd be most concerned about nutrients/vitamins breaking down. If the vacuum seal is OK, I'd probably try it. As with any food, I would not feed it exclusively for long periods of time, but I'd try it as part of a full diet.

Jim

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I was using a thesaurus book thing. Words I got with opaque was:

blurred
cloudy
dim
dull
dusky
filmy
foggy
frosty
gloomy
hazy
shady
smoky

So that would explain my own confusion on what that word truely means.

bozco

AC Members
Dec 4, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Ok, glad that was cleared up. By opaque I was meaning, no light could get in, solid coloured platic. Anyways. I feed it with frozen and live foods as well, so I will just continue to experiment on my guppies. If anything it will be good for snail food. Thanks for the opinions and input. We'll just see out if goes. Thanks again.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
dead fish

I killed a lot of fish feeding them old food.

I bought a 10 lb bag of flake when I got my pond. After 5 years the fish had all died, and I'd restocked a few times by then.

At 10 years I restocked and started with the same food and the fish dropsied and began dying. Finally I realized what it was, after killing 20 fish, 3 times, plus a couple at the end.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
You guys know what rancid is?? :D

I don't feed dry to start with, as most of it has been sitting in a warehouse then sitting in a pet shop. Even freshness dated items can be rancid- heat processed fats are bad in every case.

I don't eat dry "packaged foods" myself and don't feed 'em to my pets either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store