Old Tank Syndrome?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Aquaclears are the best....I run them on all three of my tanks, even my refugium on the salt tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Thank you Todd for differentiating. Yes, chloramide/ammonia were quite high. The pet store recommended I do a complete overhaul, from gravel to plants to bleaching decorations. That seemed like overkill. What steps should I take to re-establish a safe tank.
Give us a DETAILED current status for the tank for the best responses....

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Just to point out, chloramine is used in place of chlorine because it doesn't evaporate. If your city water uses it, aerating in a bucket won't work. You have to be sure a dechlorinator says it works on chloramine. As for filter changes, not sure why you would do that. It's where most of your good bacteria lives. Unless you are using activated carbon to remove something specific like medications, you never need to replace it. Even though the carbon in a stock filter bag looses its "activation" it still serves as a media for the bacteria to live on. And as was said, a full water test is the first thing you should do if you have a problem. I like to record my tests with dates for a while when starting a new tank(also noting any water changes and change in stock), and reference it when I test to make sure nothing is goofy. If I ever have something out of normal, I will add that to the records and keep recording until things get back to normal.

lws422

AC Members
Sep 23, 2014
I appreciate the replies! Thank you.
It was a bit overstocked as I'd taken in some fish from a friend whose brother got sick of his tank and was neglecting it; between the two tanks I had about 50 fish. Everyone had been thriving, by all appearances, so while this was surprising, its also obvious I need to be far more diligent in the future.
I did not get exact measurements as the pet store used the simple test strips. I plan to switch out the gravel and get the tank cycling again with healthy plants at my new house this weekend, make sure to thoroughly treat the water with good products, and invest in a test kit. While this was certainly unfortunate, it seems to be a good opportunity to scale down and be more selective in the number and variety of fish I stock going forward.
Another lesson learned in my first foray into the world of aquarium care.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like you're on the right track Laura!

From the sounds of your original post, it could have been a big pH change that did them in. An over-stocked tank really should have weekly fin-level water changes. If you were doing something like somewhat regular ~30% WCs, then did a huge one, that may have been your issue.

Like said, chloramine is a possibility too. Have look up your local water supply data sheet to verify that.

Gotta get that API master test kit too!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think between overstocking & large water changing you've created some problems for your tanks. I also think you're on the right track to get them back in order...I hope... without being able to check your parameters at home, that you can reset your "bigger" tank & go on a better path forward...An API test kit is essential to really seeing what is going on in your tanks. I'm sorry you're having problems...but 50 fish, no matter how small, between 2 smallish tanks, is the root of your problems. Live & learn, as we all have had to do, sooner or later. Good luck & keep us posted on your test results going forward.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store