Oldcastle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
My local Home Depot used to have southdown playsand, i actually have a bag from when my parents redid their pool. I just got back and now they have tropical play sand, silica free, sterilized, made by oldcastle stone company of somewhere in PA. I bought 100lbs, $6 for 50 lbs. It says on the bag that it isn't recommended for aquarium use, but this stuff is what I need for my dsb right?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes--Old Kastle is the same product as Southdown, but the company renamed it and added the "Do Not Use" warning recently. They now market Southdown for aquarium use, and the price tag is just a tad higher--about 5 times more, I think. ;) Apparently their marketing division doesn't think reefers are very bright.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Makes you feel pretty good to pay $12 for 100 lbs doesn't it? My LFS carries "marine sand" for $5.99 per 5 lb bag. That is just ludicrous...

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Used to be southdown, then about 6 months ago it became Old Kastle, with the "not for aquarium use" label. It sort of racked me off, to be honest, that they would pull that crap.

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Just pciture all those big wig execs walking out of a meeting with big smiles thinking they "got us" !! Makes me want to write them an email a rub it in, but I wouldn't ruin it for everyone else

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store