OMG convict bliss!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
I have no tests or evidence leading to my theory, but thought has propelled it.

My idea about why fish parenting degenerates over the generations is that they are not raised in a parenting or threatening environment. It is easiest for fish farms to let the fish lay the eggs and then remove the parents. The fry then grow up with the entire batch. This allows many more fish to be sold than when they are kept with parents. In the wild, fish are constantly facing the threat of survival. Whos going to attack me next? Where is that bigger fish that may eat me? Those other fish better stay away from these babies, or ill beat them down...So naturally, they take care of their babies. Some fish have adapted to different methods of breeding, but cichlids in general stay in one area to breed. This sitting still in one area leads to easy predation of the fry. The need to protect them in order for the population of fish to survive is hightened and measures are taken to ensure that the babies survive.

So, my idea would be to communitize the tank. Add the breeding pair to a larger tank with some top dwelling fish that wont bug the babies, but will pose a threat. Then let the cichlids raise the babies untill they get it down and remove the babies slowly so as to simulate the seperation of the babies from the parents naturally. Although this is all thought up, it could stimulate parenting behaviors. Some cichlids just dont know how to be parents tho, so this plan would work to varying degrees.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
This is just an opinion but I believe it would just be better to leave the fry with the parents atleast until they are a month or a little older. If you do this than the parents would learn better to take care of the babies. Cause like if you take them away or seperate them than the parents won't get any excperiance taking care of babies and thye might mess up future batches. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with them. I have had several batchs of con fry in the past and I jsut love watching them. Well goodluck!

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Start feeding with them with something along the lines of Artemia nauplii or high quality "powdered" dry food.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by Anton Wernher
Artemia nauplii

uhh...you're goin to need to translate that into English for me real quick...hehe...I don't know what that is

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
You don't need to think about feeding the fry for at least 2-3 weeks. They get nutrition from their yolk sac and from there the parents will stir up the gravel to provide bits of stuff to eat. You'll notice that they'll nibble on algae too. Once they're a little bigger you can crush flakes into small crumbs/powder and they'll do fine with that. The best part is watching the adults digging food for the fry and having the school all feeding together!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I have just always used crushed up flakes. I've even one time put feeder guppies in the tank for the parent s and the female killed one and she would rip it up and spit out pieces and the babies would swarm around and eat it. It was pretty facsinating to watch. Good luck with them. Im asking for a 10 gallon tank for christmas so if I get it I might get a small pair of convicts. Have a good day!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
exactly what I have small pair in a ten g with one cave....seems to be the perfect environment

after this batch of fry is done they're moving up to the 75g though, so they'll be livin large

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store