Ongoing battle with rescued Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
You're probably also aware that Metro at higher temps are ineffective as the 1/2 life of the med is expended too quick. My treatment is based on research that supports effective results. Raising the temp could also increase the chances of bacterial infection as the Hex dies off inside the fish, causing yet another problem, requiring more meds. My treatment was not an aggressive one, so I found it no need for changing the temp.
There are right ways and wrong ways to use Metro, or any medication for that matter. Not bumping up the temperature to at least 92 is the reason why you have this "ongoing battle" such as your title suggests. All you did was create a more resistent strain of Heximita that won't be effected by addition of Metro in the near future.Dosing 3 times per day is probably overkill, though hobbyists still do it. I dose 400-500mg per 10g once an day and do water up to 50% water changes everyday before I dose. You say that it is less effective at higher temperature, but consider the fact that women with vaginal infections take metronidazole in smaller concentrations once per day with success. The human body has a normal temperature between 98.5-99 degrees, several degrees higher than the temperature I suggested be the minimum.

Please clue me in as to how dead Heximita is going to cause another infection. I'm curious to hear how this would work. Is it magic perhaps?

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
There are right ways and wrong ways to use Metro, or any medication for that matter. Not bumping up the temperature to at least 92 is the reason why you have this "ongoing battle" such as your title suggests. All you did was create a more resistent strain of Heximita that won't be effected by addition of Metro in the near future.Dosing 3 times per day is probably overkill, though hobbyists still do it. I dose 400-500mg per 10g once an day and do water up to 50% water changes everyday before I dose. You say that it is less effective at higher temperature, but consider the fact that women with vaginal infections take metronidazole in smaller concentrations once per day with success. The human body has a normal temperature between 98.5-99 degrees, several degrees higher than the temperature I suggested be the minimum.

Please clue me in as to how dead Heximita is going to cause another infection. I'm curious to hear how this would work. Is it magic perhaps?
You are comparing humans to fish, where the drug is directly applied to the affected area, and in fish, the metro is dissolved in water. The meds will then need to travel through the fish's gills, into the bloodstream... etc.

Is there really a "right" and a "wrong"? When this thread was made, it was made solely for the intentions of documenting an on-going battle. I have no intentions of discussing off-topic items such as other applications of the use of metro, especially when it's not aquatic related. I have stated my reasons for not bumping my temps up, and I will stand by those reasons. I have still yet to find any reason, other than myths, why I should do otherwise.

Please forgive me if I'm not doing things by the "book". My on-going battle has research, and logic behind it. If it does not suit your views on how it "should" be done, I would appreciate constructive and proven reasons why it should not be done in such a way, and not just "myths". It's my hopes that my research will pay off, and disprove some of these so called "rules" so many go by. In this hobby, there's many ways to do things the "right" way. That's something I've learned, maybe it's your turn.

I do not wish to discuss this on my thread any further, if you have a problem with the way I am caring for my fish, please PM me, as I would like to keep this thread solely for learning purposes, and not filled with non-sense.

Regards,
Shawn

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
refresh me plse - how many did you end up buying from somethingsphishy? how many did you have b-4 buying from them & how many did you have in total (all in one tank also?). how many do you have now.

just basing this on memory, it appears somethingsphishy gave you some bum discus (tho your pics look great) which were carriers of gunk. since I read so many poor experiences I refrained.

after I picked up a 72gal bowfront CL special (but is it really, or is it only 60 gallons since I filled it up gallon by gallon?!) & have cycled & also placed 4 angels 8 baby albino corys & 1 reg.pleco to continue cycling at 84degrees - I finally took the plunge & ordered my Stendkers.

A big plunge so I hope to avoid all that you have gone thru - it would be disastrous for me since I could not conceive of going all that you have done.

glad you made some break thrus & yours are doing much better. continued good luck!

may I also suggest as a fellow AC member that any replies you get you take it as constructive in nature - nothing wrong with disagreeing with others, but AC members are only giving you feedback based on their experience - at least they took the time to respond to your plight & ongoing battle!

will let you & all know how I fare in my start up. Hope sometime next week! even more challenging all 15 juvies to start! tell me I am a fool & I would not disagree with anyone!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
sushiray,

I replied to this post some time ago, but I beleive that the forum move caused it to be removed. I'll state briefly what I posted earlier.

There must have been a misunderstanding, I didn't purchase anything from somethingphishy. This was my first Discus purchase, and I purcahsed 10. They were all in one tank, a 46G bowfront.

Regards to the replies, I welcome them, as long as they are constructive to what my goals are. As stated, the purpose of my thread is to document and provide a trail for what I have done, what has worked for me, and what has not. I have recieved much help from members here on AC, and they deserve all the credit for guiding me through this. However, the decision to medicate, or not medicate, or how I medicate is all documented in this thread. Critisism as to things after the fact, does not help. As far as I can tell, I am addressing each illness as they come, and curing them one at a time. Comments relating to how I incorrectly used certain medications that have no scientific backing, has no place in this thread. Research was done prior to medicating, and with each medication, the target parasite/illness was remedied. This is not a thread for regurgitation of myths, this IS one person's experience in his fishkeeping, that's all there is to it.

We can cut out the drama, and maybe learn a thing or two, I know I have.

Respectfully,
Shawn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store